PDA

View Full Version : Would you trade a Pre-Ban Colt M4 for a Pre-Ban 50:63?

7.62FMJ
April 26, 2002, 03:54
I have a Pre-Ban Colt M4 totally tricked out with probably over a thousand dollars worth of accessories and not to mention a 14" barrel with a Phantom tacked in place- less than 200 rounds through the rifle. So basically it is new. I am thinking of trading it for a 50:63 sidefolder that is almost new. Am I crazy for doing this? It would be an even trade as far as current values are concerned along with all the crap I have on the FAL- I just want to know why should I do this. I have a 50:00 but it is post-ban so that part sucks.
Any comments would be great. I do not have something lined up yet but if I decide to do this I know I could find someone who would trade. I love the little M4 and with the ACOG it is really accurate, the M900A puts it over the top but truly the 50:63 is my favorite style of weapon.
Thanks,
7.62FMJ :cool:

Michael64
April 26, 2002, 05:21
If its a Belgian 50.63, then you would be getting a very good deal. Especially since your M4 is basically nothing more than a parts gun.
Nothing wrong with AR's (I love them myself) but the 50.63 would be more valuable and collectable. In my opinion.

EMDII
April 26, 2002, 05:24
You must have a pre-ban Colt lower, w/an M4 tacked on. I think the M4 may/may not be a pre-ban 'system', but if'n you've got a pre-ban lower, then so much the better!

Getting a real pre-ban 50.63 (and they are out there) would be the cat's meow. had one, let it slipaway during the Big D. Stupid, stoopid!

M64 is correct: you have a kit M4 w/ lots of neat accesories. Get the 50.63!

;)

Sumoj275
April 26, 2002, 08:51
In a heart beat. I would never look back at the deal, but that is me because I have wanted a Belgium folder since I was in high school.

Wadman
April 26, 2002, 09:02
I have a Belgian folder and I wouldn't trade it for an M4.

xcpd69
April 26, 2002, 09:18
I have a near mint Belgian 50.61 and WOULD NOT trade it for a built up M-4gery, pre-ban or no....

I DO have an original pre-ban All Colt Government Carbine, and as much as I like it, I would trade it in a heartbeat for an original 50.63 in equal condition...

panchop
April 26, 2002, 09:37
trade it in a flash

M90A1
April 26, 2002, 10:20
You really have to think about it??

Asmodeous
April 26, 2002, 10:57
If you had an actual pre-ban M4 it would be a bad trade since there are only something like 150 of them in existence.

But, as has been pointed out, since you have an M4gery built on a pre-ban Colt lower you just need to determine what the value of it is to you.

Personally, I'd take the trade; the 50:63 (like an actual M4) is just going to go up in value.

twinlamp
April 26, 2002, 11:10
This isn't even a contest. Even a stray
dog would pick the 50.63 folder over the
M-4. Any legal "pre-ban" M-4 is either
a parts gun built on a preban receiver
w/ a 16+" barrel or a registered SBR w/ a
true M-4 14.5" barrel. There are no
factory preban semi M-4 carbines out there.
I think it was the Colt govt. marked "A-3"
carbines w/ detachable carry handles of
which only 150 or so were made. They
of course, had 16+" barrels so they
wouldn't fall under NFA jurisdiction.
Even a registered SBR w/ a real military
M-4 upper would have to be built on a
pre-ban AR receiver.

xcpd69
April 26, 2002, 11:26
Besides, I like my Govt Carbine just like it is...Bare naked, with no "Buck Rogers" crap hanging off of it. "Ghost Ring" aperture(factory) is accurate enough for me. 300 yard accuracy without fiddling with sights, and just under 6 lbs dry. Lightweight accurate and handy.

Hang all that other stuff on it, and you might as well go to a 7.62.....Same weight, and hits harder...further away...

Just My Armchair Commando, Nearlywasaustabe Opinion.. :D

L1A1 shooter 1
April 26, 2002, 19:59
if i had a colt yes,,would i trade my pre ban bushmaster shorty & 1000 bucks worth of acc,,hell no ;)

RRotz
April 26, 2002, 20:02
Yes, I have a pre-ban Colt M4-gery that I'll trade you for a 50:63.

Please also send funds for that bridge I'm going to build for you.

mongoose
April 26, 2002, 20:59
There should be no question about it...the 50:63 is more weapon than the m4 ever thought or was designed to be. I had tree M4s in the military as we were the test unit for them,to the point that Colt wouldn't acknowledge their existance. We ran thousands of rounds through them and as fine a weapon as it is the M4 is still an M16 and in my opinion a peice of plastic junk from Matel. and that includes the A2 versions.
A Cadilac is a Cadilac but a Rolls is much more.

7.62FMJ
April 27, 2002, 01:58
The Colt M4 is a pre-ban but has a true 14" barrel and phantom tacked in place for legal length. The upper and lower are matching- the barrel however was added later to replace a 16" I had for it. I like the rifle but the FAL is easier to work on and it looks cooler. The downside being that it weighs more of course and the sights are worse. However I have scope mounts already for what my other FAL. I know the value of the M4 with all the toys its sporting could be valued easily around $2,700 or better. My goal is to score a pre-ban FAL either the 50:00 or 50:63 and turn it into a 50:63.

FALkyrie
April 27, 2002, 17:45
Originally posted by xcpd69:
<STRONG>Hang all that other stuff on it, and you might as well go to a 7.62.....Same weight, and hits harder...further away...

Just My Armchair Commando, Nearlywasaustabe Opinion.. :D</STRONG>

I was taught if it is worth shooting, do it with a thirty caliber. ;) I have never shot a M4/16, just the UAG. 5.56 is ok, but the FAL will make sure that it sits down and stays there. peace.