PDA

View Full Version : OK, WWII plane nuts, check this out...

awp101
April 30, 2002, 15:44
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1098237502
:D

BUFF
April 30, 2002, 16:46
I have Adolph Hitler's chrome-plated P-38, used by him to shoot hisself, dated "May 30, 1945," with an certificate of authenicity signed by my late Uncle Bob of Schenectady, N.Y., who brought it back from Germany his own self.

Offers?

'TUDE
April 30, 2002, 16:56
Buff, that's impossible.
I bought THAT pistol just last year at a gun show. I think you have a fake. I would never sell it though. It goes very well with the John Wilks Booth's .44 magnum I bought the year before.

U. D. Linden
April 30, 2002, 16:56
A pistol I could see. A bayonet. A rifle. A machine gun. Hats, boots, rings.

But a vertical stabilizer? I don't think so.
Maybe I should offer to trade a urinal that my Gramps liberated from Berchtesgaden.

Snakeshot
April 30, 2002, 17:18
"Reserve not yet met"

Heehehe :D :rolleyes:

awp101
April 30, 2002, 21:27
Originally posted by U. D. Linden:
<STRONG>A pistol I could see. A bayonet. A rifle. A machine gun. Hats, boots, rings.

Maybe I should offer to trade a urinal that my Gramps liberated from Berchtesgaden.</STRONG>
Ah, but to the aeronautically minded (see what happens when you give me a dictionary? :rolleyes: ), it is a neat find.

That's how I ran across it in the first place...

[ April 30, 2002: Message edited by: awp101 ]

Kamikaze
April 30, 2002, 22:04
What good is just the stabilizer? I need the whole parts kit so I can assemble a post ban Me.109 to mount my FAL in :)

awp101
April 30, 2002, 22:15
Originally posted by Kamikaze:
<STRONG>What good is just the stabilizer? I need the whole parts kit so I can assemble a post ban Me.109 to mount my FAL in :)</STRONG>
IIRC, ALL 109s are PREBANS! Build it anyway you want. ;)

Wright Brothers Gunsmiths
April 30, 2002, 22:20
<STRONG>Maybe I should offer to trade a urinal that my Gramps liberated from Berchtesgaden.</STRONG>

That sounds good but the shipping and handling will kill you!

awp101
April 30, 2002, 22:29
Originally posted by Wright Bros Gunsmiths:
<STRONG>That sounds good but the shipping and handling will kill you!</STRONG>
I dunno, sounds kinda crappy to me... :rolleyes:

I didn't think we'd get this low, this fast..... :eek:

Squint
May 01, 2002, 00:49
If you like Bf-109's you should read a book titled "Grey Eagles." It came out in the 80's and is about a group of German pilots who restore 8 Bf-109G's. They make attacks against the USAF and the Confederate Air Force. It's is a very good read and I would like to find another copy.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 01, 2002, 01:02
I think it is a stroke of genius. There are seven well healed morons willing to bid on this Bull$hit. I wish that I had thought of it. Although I think I would have made one out of fiberglass and claimed that it was a factory experimental prototype composite material. Very rare. Only one ever made :D
Then again, I really like being able to sleep at night with a clear conscience.

BUFF
May 01, 2002, 01:37
Squint:

I read it and have a copy around here somewhere. If I find it I'll let you know.

G. Gordon Liddy's character in his novel had an Me-109 that he restored and flew around as a personal biz jet alternative, even had registered, working, loaded 20MM Orlikons! What a pipe dream!

Squint
May 01, 2002, 02:23
Cool. Thanks Buff.

7idl
May 01, 2002, 05:21
Originally posted by Virgil Caine:
<STRONG>I think for that kind of dough he could post a picture of the actual artifact. As far as the "autograph", without provenance, it is meaningless.</STRONG>

Yes Sir, I was thinking the same to myself.. something that could draw that much attention (and money) requires Proof up front!!!!!!

medicmike
May 01, 2002, 07:26
If it is legit it would be pretty cool to hang on the wall. I knew a guy that was restoring a 109. Cool airplane, they quite small compared to thier contemporaries. Got to sit in it several times and helped them work on it a bit. Did get a little stick time in his MkXIV Spitfire though :D

awp101
May 01, 2002, 19:50
Originally posted by Squint:
<STRONG>If you like Bf-109's you should read a book titled "Grey Eagles." It came out in the 80's and is about a group of German pilots who restore 8 Bf-109G's. They make attacks against the USAF and the Confederate Air Force. It's is a very good read and I would like to find another copy.</STRONG>
Read it while I was in Junior High...wish I'd kept my copy as well... :rolleyes:

Medicmike- It's not polite to brag.... :p

archy
May 01, 2002, 20:39
<STRONG>A pistol I could see. A bayonet. A rifle. A machine gun. Hats, boots, rings.

Maybe I should offer to trade a urinal that my Gramps liberated from Berchtesgaden.</STRONG>

You're kidding, but I know a collector who got the drains from the porcelan shower floor from Hitler's retreat at Berchtesgarden. I can just about envision the the ad copy at e-bay now, but I don't think he's inclined to sell.

He's got the photo of Hitler's mother that sat on Adolf's desk, as well, brought home by a returning US G.I.

-archy-/-

medicmike
May 02, 2002, 11:46
Medicmike- It's not polite to brag....
It was just a few mins from the back seat, couple easy turns over the practice area and then back to the pattern. That was the payoff for spending all of my free time around the hangar and helping the restoration crew for free.

It was pretty cool though :D

BUFF
May 02, 2002, 15:58
I saw a 2-seat Spitfire visit the Confederate Air Force hanger outside Scottsdale a few years ago. Same one, maybe?

Few sounds in this world are a sweet as a Merlin in full-throttle roar!

medicmike
May 03, 2002, 08:41
Buff,
I don't think so. Jack didn't travel much with his airplanes. It is the one sitting in the Tillamook NAS museum in Tilamook, Oregon. Have a couple great big blimp hangars up there. He moved the collection from Medford several years ago. He wanted to build a museum here but the airport manager nixed it. Had a really cool set of plans drawn up. Was going to put a facad on the front of his hangars and a control tower to make it look like a WWII airfield. Wanted to have military vehicles and sandbagged gun emplacements around. Sure pissed me off when the county screwed him and he decided to take his money where it would be appriciated.

sixplusone
May 03, 2002, 09:13
Travel blurb; Tillamook NAS Museum is a great place to visit. Up close and personal. Medicmike there's only one hangar now, Tillamook Co. did a good job to bring it in.

Aero.. Question from visit to Nat'l. Air Museum; on the German Mezers. am I correct to remember that it was an inverted engine with a hollow crank? With a 20mm cannon thru it? Wouldn't this heat the hell out of it?
Questions that have been lingering for years.

awp101
May 03, 2002, 23:30
Originally posted by sixplusone:
<STRONG>am I correct to remember that it was an inverted engine with a hollow crank? With a 20mm cannon thru it? Wouldn't this heat the hell out of it?
Questions that have been lingering for years.</STRONG>
Yes, inverted Daimler-Benz DB600/601/605(?) series inverted V-12 engine.

The constant airflow through the propshaft/barrel assembly kept it cool enough as I understand it.

EMDII
May 04, 2002, 07:08
Liquid cooled anyway,and the hollow shaft is stiffer than the solids of the day. And that bitchin' cannon!

I rebuilt cannon, mount, and the hood-mounted MGs on a Bf109 in Arizona in the early 80s. The guns were de-milled, but man they looked good! The Bf109 was one of those used for 'The Battle of Britain', a Spanish AF bird w/ the deep cowl. The owner restored it to it's pristine Luftwaffe nose, and the nasty truncated cone spinner cover was red w/ a white spiral.

I am no A&P guy, so I didn't know jack about the a/c. But it was some serious fun seeing that bird climb out one sunny AZ morning!

CGGunner
May 04, 2002, 07:13
I wonder if Buddie at Tapco will take it in trade for a couple crates of G-1's???? :D

medicmike
May 05, 2002, 11:14
Medicmike there's only one hangar now

I remember hearing about the fire. Guess the hangar was stacked full of hay and burned real hot. That was before Jack moved his collection there. I haven't been up there to check anything out since he moved. Guess I am going to have to make the trip one of these days.

awp101
May 05, 2002, 12:45
Originally posted by EMDII:
<STRONG>Liquid cooled anyway</STRONG>
If you are in reference to the engine, yes. If you mean the cannon, no.

<STRONG>The Bf109 was one of those used for 'The Battle of Britain', a Spanish AF bird w/ the deep cowl.</STRONG>
Hispano-Suiza HAS-1109-JIL IIRC.

<STRONG>The owner restored it to it's pristine Luftwaffe nose, and the nasty truncated cone spinner cover was red w/ a white spiral..</STRONG>
Thank God! :D

Tripower455
May 05, 2002, 14:12
I thought that the batch of spanish -109s running around all had Merlins in them, hence the different cowl.......I know that the CAF has(d) a couple of the spanish ones, and they had Merlins in them.....

awp101
May 05, 2002, 17:42
Originally posted by Tripower455:
<STRONG>I thought that the batch of spanish -109s running around all had Merlins in them, hence the different cowl.......I know that the CAF has(d) a couple of the spanish ones, and they had Merlins in them.....</STRONG>
Correct, the Spanish had an issue with the DB engines during the war (supply and demand or manufacturing issues, I don't recall right now...) and so they used a Hispano-Suiza inverted V12.

The problem was, the HS rotated in the opposite direction of the DB series engines and FUBARd much of the 109s handling characteristics.

The solution was found in the late forties/early fifties when the Spanish switched to the Merlin engines. Ironically the first few 109 prototypes flown by Messerschmitt were Merlin powered since the Junkers and DB engines weren't up to par yet.

FYI, the Yugos produced the 109 after the war(Avia S199) which the Israelis flew during the Independence War in 1948...