PDA

View Full Version : Interesting small arms proliferation article and chart (moved to RKBA)

milljocky
March 20, 2002, 21:18
I rediscovered this in doing a comparison and contrast essay on the development andconstruction of the FAL and AK rifles. It's due tomorow, so I'll just post the links and run to polish it up.
I don't agree with their conclusions and asumptions, but you can glean some interesting things about the guns them selves, and their distribution. link (http://www.sciam.com/2000/0600issue/0600boutwellbox1.html)

other link (http://www.sciam.com/2000/0600issue/0600boutwell.html)

link to google search page I found it on (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&q=Special+Report%3A+A+Scourge+of+Small+Arms%3B+Jun e+2000%3B+by+Boutwell%2C+Klare%3B++6+Page%28s%29&btn G=Google+Search)

[ March 20, 2002: Message edited by: milljocky ]

[ March 22, 2002: Message edited by: EMDII ]

kotengu
March 20, 2002, 22:02
Interesting links - I don't suppose this essay is for an ultra-liberal english teacher??????

You'll have to let us know how it goes over :eek: :D

milljocky
March 21, 2002, 04:33
Got it done. I ran the idea past the teacher, and he said it sounded interesting, and he'd like to read it. I think he was in the military once, but not sure. He has a big eagle tatoo on one arm, and a celtic cross on the other, & seems fairly conservative.

1gewehr
March 21, 2002, 08:16
Interesting that in the IANSA article cited, there is NO mention of those countries which have very high levels of firearms ownership, and very little crime or instability.
It seems to me that Rwanda created the environment for massacres by disarming an entire tribe. Which was then able to be safely rounded up by the other tribe and systematically murdered. A few AKs could have made a huge difference in the right hands.
1gewehr

fal_shooter
March 21, 2002, 22:07
AKs for $15 dollars or a sack of corn. I like the sound of that. I think I would get a "couple" at that price. :D

buckaroo
March 21, 2002, 22:31
The weapon of choice in Rwanda was the machete. In Somalia and Afghanistan the RPG and light machine gun are just as prolific as the AKM.

Why even conduct such a study when it is so blatantly obvious that it isn't the availability of weapons but the low education level, high poverty and despair levels, and religious fundamentalism that drives people to go to war with one another? The Romans used the short sword, the Africans once used spears and bows and arrows. Nothing has changed except technology. People are still people, with all their bloodthirsty faults.

Only a leftist, gun grabbing organization would bother conducting such a disingenuous study.

milljocky
March 22, 2002, 00:37
I'm with you guys, they stretch logic to make facts fit their agenda, but there is some interesting info on guns producers and stuff. I remembered getting kinda torked off when I read it in print (year ago or something?). Seems we had a guerilla war here once, and countless children were better off for it. Also ran across an article else where on the web called "For Patriotism and Profit"- a Kalashnikov interview (Gen. Kalashnicov never made a dime from arms sales-no patent) where the General was asked how he felt about all the people ripped to shreds with his creation. LINK (http://www.worldpress.org/cover5.htm) Part of his answer was, "I think the policies of these countries are to blame, not the [weapons]designers. Man is born to protect his family, his children, his wife." That interviewer just didn't get it either, that living as slaves to these dictatorial regimes could be thousands of times worse than anything he'd ever been through, and the opportunity to fight and possibly die on one's own terms was worth it. That's why villagers when home and named their children Kalash. The aid shipments sit in Ethiopian docks because their leader will not let the dissenting commoners be fed. They starve to death, call him Satan, and pick up arms. Duh. Some where in that first article I posted was a link to multi national plans to round up & destroy mass quantities of small arms in the name of "stability", or keeping these monsters safe from their people while they pillage the country for personal gain.
Opps, rant off.
The map in the first post placed all-time AK production at 35-50 million world wide, but the Russians say more like 70 million, including pirated copies.