PDA

View Full Version : Friend asked why I love firearms so much...

MichonRAFW
April 24, 2002, 16:00
A friend of mine, not a gun-lover but not a hater too, asked me today what my "obsession" (i wouldn't call it that :D ) was with firearms. I just stood there for a sec just thinking to myself- "what's not to love about firearms??? :confused: "
:D :D :D nothin like the smell of hoppes #9 in the morning :D ;)
Ryan

FALkyrie
April 24, 2002, 16:19
You think you have got it bad? Try talking to the organizing committee of take back the night about women arming themselves against the violence this event is suppose to be about. I got looked at like I was from mars. :eek:
Thier idea of "taking back" the night is to walk around with a lot of police and "talk" about how women are victims, Instead of walking where and when as they wish free from fear.
I feel your pain. peace :)

Valknut
April 24, 2002, 16:30
why do I like guns so much?
-it's about taking responsibility for one's own defense ...
-there's the "Zen" state of marksmanship ...
-there's an art to the wood and steel and function in the best examples of firearms ...
-engineering, ballistics, all the science of guns ...
-and it's just so darn much fun to blast away at targets!

Red4
April 24, 2002, 16:32
An "obsession" is relative in the first place.

In the second place…anyone directing the term "obsession" at you during casual conversation is either joking or somewhat covertly expressing a personal disdain towards the item in question.

It’s usually a good opportunity to either hit someone in the mouth, or if you’re prepared, to scramble their brain with logic and fact leaving them only with the choice of either starting an argument with you thereby proving just how stupid and biased they are, or simply replying "Oh...ok".

Only problem with this approach is that logic and facts seem to have little effect on drunks, assholes, and liberals.
:rolleyes:

MichonRAFW
April 24, 2002, 16:36
[QUOTE] why do I like guns so much?
-there's an art to the wood and steel and function in the best examples of firearms ...
-and it's just so darn much fun to blast away at targets! [/QUOTE}

BINGO! :D Don't forget the satisfaction of only loosing 1 pint of blood in an WECSOG adventure after many moons of painful experience! :eek: ;)
Ryan

MichonRAFW
April 24, 2002, 16:41
In the second place…anyone directing the term "obsession" at you during casual conversation is either joking or somewhat covertly expressing a personal disdain towards the item in question.

Red4- probably a little from column A and a lil from column B :) He's a good friend of mine who was half joking, half wanting to know what all the fuss was about. He expressed interest in comming with me to the range sometime so I think i'll just have to show him first hand the joys of shooting and get him addicted him aswell :D :D
Ryan

Valknut
April 24, 2002, 16:43
ROTFL!
I swear, I've lost some blood on every firearm I have -
I bled on my new Garand before I even had a chance to fire it! And it wasn't even my thumb!
The WECSOG Mauser project ... that was christened in blood, too.

MichonRAFW
April 24, 2002, 16:44
ROTFL!
I swear, I've lost some blood on every firearm I have -
I bled on my new Garand before I even had a chance to fire it! And it wasn't even my thumb!
The WECSOG Mauser project ... that was christened in blood, too.

Ain't it da truth! :D :p
Ryan

ksuguy
April 24, 2002, 16:51
Originally posted by FALkyrie:
<STRONG>You think you have got it bad? Try talking to the organizing committee of take back the night about women arming themselves against the violence this event is suppose to be about. I got looked at like I was from mars. :eek:
Thier idea of "taking back" the night is to walk around with a lot of police and "talk" about how women are victims, Instead of walking where and when as they wish free from fear.
I feel your pain. peace :)</STRONG>

Good to see a woman getting involved in pushing gun ownership. I too see these dumb take back the night rallys here on campus. Now how is walking around with some candles and talking about being a victim going to prevent rape? Do the sensible thing and push for CCW and carry guns. Over the past year or so there have been a half dozen or so rapes, (cops think it is one guy), in an area in town. Several of them were home invasion types. Not once did I see the best suggestion for stopping the crimes. If one the intended victims had put a bullet in her attacker the problem would be solved. Instead the guy is still at large.

FALkyrie
April 24, 2002, 16:59
There has been several attacks around here this year. In every instance the girls screaming brought unwanted attention, and the attacker has fled. Ok so far, but a blood trail or a patient with a gunshot wound would make him easier to find. :mad:
Know a female you care about? Do her a big favor and take her to the range. :) peace.

sixplusone
April 24, 2002, 18:45
Mich.. In your best Heavy Transylvanian-Russian accent tell your friend " Come to 'da range width me; Let me show you how to load 'da magazines"

Arby
April 24, 2002, 19:20
Originally posted by Valknut:
<STRONG>why do I like guns so much?
-and it's just so darn much fun to blast away at targets!</STRONG>

Don't forget to mention the "window into history" aspect of firearms. When all other logic fails, this can be the siren's call that gets them hooked!

When you shoulder a Garand with a Springfield receiver and an early '40s serial number, and ask yourself: "Where has this rifle been in the last 50 years?"

When you carry the same rifle and 2-3 bandoleers deep into the woods, feel the growing weight of the ammo & rifle, and think of all the miles and all the terrain that G.I.s had to hump that load and more.

When you run your hands over a beautiful 1918 DWM Luger and ask yourself: "What has THIS piece seen?"

Moisin-Nagants. K-98s. P-38s. Tokarevs. 1917 Enfields. 03A3 Springfields. 1911s.

Firearms can be a tangible link to the most seminal events of the 20th Century, or earlier times and events.

Appeal to the newbie's sense of historic romanticism. Then let them shoot.

rtrick
April 24, 2002, 19:56
I have to agree with the history of each piece of my collecttion. What other hobby can you actually handle a part of history.

This dosen't even look at the shooting pleasure one gets from a good day at the range

I work in a dept with three guys and 38 women, most of them just can't see why I want to spend time let alone money on this "stuff'

"remember 1st of the 8th

FALkyrie
April 24, 2002, 21:30
[QUOTE]Originally posted by rtrick:
I work in a dept with three guys and 38 women, most of them just can't see why I want to spend time let alone money on this "stuff'

Fathers; teach your little grrls about firearms and the next generation will have wives who WANT you to spend money of that kind of "stuff". :D How fun would that be?! :)

peace.

Batman
April 24, 2002, 21:45
Several years ago, there was a talk radio show host, a female, who was older, single, liberal, who said men who like guns like them because they have small pinuses. And that holding a gun gives them a sense of manhood. Furthermore, she said women who like guns really just want to have a pinus. Sooooooo, when someone asks me why I love guns so much I just look at my crotch! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

B Wood
April 24, 2002, 21:51
Why do we love firearms so much? Great question.

I assume most of us are from the good ole USA here. America has a deep history with the gun. Simple farmers and settlers took up arms and made America free. Guns became a way of defending freedom. A way to resist against tyranny.

Secondly guns offer an insight into history. Look at how the world has changed with the advent of the gun. Some people will say it has been a bad change, but I simply refer to the paragraph above.

Next would have to be personal responsibity to defend one's self and their family. This is a huge decision that many non-gun people simply are not willing to stomach.

Shooting is also very relaxing. To shoot accurately you have to focus. Focus on your breathing, your heart rate, basically tuning out the rest of the world and just seeing that very small dot hundreds of yards away. It is a challenge.

Last......well...it is our right. Guaranteed by all that have fought and defended the Constitution of the United States. This right should diminished or we lesson the sacrifices made by many before us. Keep this right alive and honor those that have fought for this country.

Great topic!

B Wood

Hilljack
April 24, 2002, 22:36
Definitely take them shooting. Help them discover why you like shooting.

Hilljack

Valknut
April 24, 2002, 23:13
Arby -
funny you should mention the "window of history" - that's the reason I got a Garand, and I was just pondering the history of an Enfield Jungle Carbine I was restoring tonight. The M1 Carbine, the P-38 the 1911 - all historically significant, all with their own story.

Odd Gibbs Shooter
April 24, 2002, 23:16
I have to agree with the history of each piece of my collecttion. What other hobby can you actually handle a part of history.

I have to agree with this one..

I have actually stopped in the middle of building up an MG34 and thought that this gun was in the hands of Nazi's. All the parts are stamped with the WAA stamp and the swastica..
Kinda gives me the willies if I really stop and think about it.

As for my freinds? well I dont have any!! Thats why I have you guys..

Tim

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: Odd Gibbs Shooter ]

Wadman
April 24, 2002, 23:36
I find that people who don't like guns or are afraid of them always seem to want to go to the range again after I've taken them the first time.

When you get that type of question, you should look at it as an opportunity. What better way to get your point across than to let them try it for themselves.

Queenie
April 25, 2002, 00:40
Shooting is like sex. I still get the same feeling now as I did the first time I did it. When was the last time someone asked you why you like sex? 100% sure it was someone who never had sex...or they wouldn't be asking. :D

Then there is the whole "alchemy" of shooting. The wood and heavy metal. Iron and Fire. Lightning and brimstone.....makes your hair stand on end...doesn't it?
:cool:

[ April 25, 2002: Message edited by: Queenie ]

MDC_Champaign
April 25, 2002, 09:20
I get this all the time. My stock answer:

“I’m not a gun nut; I’m a freedom nut. Guns are simply tools. As such, guns are not an "end," but a means for safeguarding my freedom.”

fnfalman
April 25, 2002, 11:24
I'd reply, "Why ask 'why'?"

Why does a person like collecting stamp? Why does a person like to collect binoculars? Why does a person like to collect antique furnitures?

You can sit down and try reason out your proclivities, but why bother to do that? If others are baffled by your personal choices to do things then that's their problems and not yours.

I stopped asking people why they prefer some things over others a long time ago.