PDA

View Full Version : We're back...Thanks Jen

'TUDE
April 30, 2002, 12:19
Was about to spaz waiting for the board to come back. Woohoo. Thanks Jen.

Jen
April 30, 2002, 12:22
Don't thank me yet.. the upgrade failed :(

The new software is nice, and while it's fast as heck, NONE of the old threads imported properly :(

I'll have to try it again next weekend.

idsubgun
April 30, 2002, 12:25
Make it Wed through Sat, during the day, when I'm at work. :D

Jen
April 30, 2002, 12:32
Next try will likely be on the 11th Starting at Midnight Friday thru Saturday Morning until the upgrade is complete, tested and working.

awp101
April 30, 2002, 15:39
Originally posted by Jen:
<STRONG>Next try will likely be on the 11th Starting at Midnight Friday thru Saturday Morning until the upgrade is complete, tested and working.</STRONG>
Hmmm, looks like it'll be safe to hammered and pass out Friday night then... :D

Antares
April 30, 2002, 17:11
If I might ask ... what are ya upgrading to?

I'm a UBB expert ... completely rewrote the entire backend code for a few of my sites..

*gets on one knee*

I am a humble servant to the FAL godess.

Jen
April 30, 2002, 17:33
Antares: vBulletin. Ubb can't handle the number of users we have nor the number of posts we get. The search breaks if I don't religiously prune or archive (by hand) the posts. There's a LOT of GOOD information in the 'archives' and I don't see just pruning it as an option.

vBulletin can handle the users and the number of posts we have and get.

ubb goes down if we get more than about 200 users online at the same time, this is with a Dual Processor machine.. :(

I figured now was as good a time as any to change over to something more scalable.

After all the hacking of ubb I have done I hate to do it, but then if it's not working for us anymore it's time to move on.

Antares
April 30, 2002, 18:00
UBB really was designed by someone on crack ... HTML based storage of messages, the HTML needing to be parsed every time its viewed or replied to.

Got a link to vBulletin? I'll tear the code apart. Sounds like UBB stores the dates in a format that vBulletin dosnt like. Might be as simple as changing the date formats.

In the mean time if it gets too bad in the mean time you can use my web server for image hosting or something to relieve the pressure.. :D