View Full Version : US MAIL Handgun

September 13, 2001, 13:57
Can I ship a handgun to an FFL through the US mail?

September 13, 2001, 14:01
Originally posted by Dusty:
<STRONG>Can I ship a handgun to an FFL through the US mail?</STRONG>

only ffl to ffl with proper paperwork if using usps.

September 13, 2001, 14:48
See ATF FAQ at http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/index.htm

(B8) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U. S. Postal Service?

A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. A nonlicensee may not transfer any firearm to a nonlicensed resident of another state. The Postal Service recommends that longguns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

(B9) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by carrier to a resident of his or her own state or to a licensee in any state. A common or contract carrier must be
used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm and prohibits common or contract
carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 2)( A) and 922( e), 27 CFR 178.31]

(B10) May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm.

(B11) May a person who is relocating out-of-state move firearms with other household goods?

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her state of residence. Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226, before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check state and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 4), 27 CFR 178.28 and 178.31]

Derby FALs
September 13, 2001, 15:03
Here is a pdf of the form 1508 that you need. I never could find it on the USPS website. I wonder why? HEHEHEHE...

USPS Form 1508 (http://www.auctionarms.com/help/po1508.pdf)

BTW. It is about half price of sending it UPS. But it takes forever and a day if you have an insurance claim.

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Derby FALs ]

September 13, 2001, 17:50
I just shipped two SIG pistols. In fact, they are still in transit because of the stoppage in air travel.

I am not a FFL. However, I shipped to a FFL gunsmith via UPS. I sent 2-Day Prioity. The pistols were wrapped in bubble wrap and secured into a new box. Ship to data included discreet reference to the FFL. No other identifying marks. However, I did notify the shipping clerk when I obtained the necessary insurance.

We do this often.

What do you need to do?

Derby FALs
September 13, 2001, 22:29
He wants to bypass the bloodsucking, gun controlling, dictating UPS and ship by US Mail. :mad: