PDA

View Full Version : WOOO HOOO!! FAL & geardos..what could be better?

bulletcatchR
September 13, 2004, 13:25
Talk about getting all my 'fetishes' lined up....

I am a big fan of the South African combat vest,got a few variations I cooked up over the years.
Here's one of my latest projects:
I saw my first MESA while making some pouches and a larger pocket for the back for a fellow.Kind of like the original pattern where you could lash your 'bedroll' horseshoe style around the back ''pocket''.
After that project I got one for myself,I needed an 'amphib. rig',something I could add extra flotation to,which the MESA already had a bit of.The MESA was a good start also because of it's mesh construction,which serves really well to let the foam dry out between 'dunkings' when cordura sandwiched foam creates a funk factory.

I'll start off showing the 'anchor'(in more weighs than one)pouches,made for 30 round FAL mags,bren and straight style.The loadout is 4 mags and I mounted them on the right(my weak) side.

http://i.xanga.com/corduracowboy/fal30_01_up.jpg
Here is the vest showing the mag pouches.

http://i.xanga.com/corduracowboy/fal30_02_up.jpg

Here are the mag pouches opened.I don't like velcro(gets mucked up in the water and fails)so I built fastex for swimming and added a snap for a quick 'hold down'.The pouch flap had a web loop sticking down but I changed it out to paracord loops after getting 'slimed' with weeds and muck and having trouble gripping the flap open,especially with neoprene gloves.I've since gritted up my fingertips using shoogoo and grit but the loops work best for me.When the fastex is secured the loops are covered so they don't snag up on stuff.

I made ALOT of mods to this vest to the point where I'm building my own now from the ground up.
I gotta get some image hosting squared away and i'll start showing the layout and 'reasoning' behind the vest mods,and some of the pouches I invented for the job.

Enjoy!!

BulletcatchR

EMDII
September 13, 2004, 13:36
red-x of death (no pics)

B Wood
September 13, 2004, 22:25
I too have a Mesa vest from Practical Tactical. In case you weren't aware, High Speed makes the vest for Practical. I feel this vest is one of if not THE best vest out there. Very comfy.

Who made the 7.62 pouches? Practical is coming out with a new design FAL / M-14 pouch soon.

In case some here haven't seen the MESA vest.....FN-74 here helped design it. FN-74 has his vest all set up for his FAL's. THis vest is WORTH the bucks....it will last a lifetime.

Nice to see others discovering it!

TimW
September 14, 2004, 00:33
Bullet - very nice set up, if I do say so myself.

BWood - Yes...many kudos tp FN 74 for his ideas that I incorporated into the vest. Had I decided on the fixed-pocket version instead of modular, there would be even more!

The new pouches are supposed to arrive within the next week or so, and most are already sold. For those curious, think of the Blackhawk STRIKE double mag pouch sized for 308 mags. Yes, lovely indeed.

Bullet - what is that up near the shoulder area...I like what you've done...interesting indeed.

All for now.

B Wood
September 14, 2004, 05:32
Hey Tim!

Didn't know you sirfed here! LOL

Put me down for at least two of the new mag pouches. OD color.

Trying to get together with FN74 to shoot soon.....between his schedule and mine it is near impossible! LOL We were going this weekend, but I got called up for a quick trip to Camp Lejeune....Oooooh Rahhhhhh LOL My Marine buddies here love the fact that I am retried Navy.......*G* Oh well...I just have to remind them where their check comes from.....with that big Dept of Navy on it...*G*

Cant wait to see the new pouches.

To anyone else looking for .308 mag pouches.....I have researched many of them....save yourself a long term headache and just buy the ones Tim is talking about...I have seen the pics of these pouches....they look great.....

Tim......is High Speed making the pouches also?

Thansk amigo!

B Wood

bulletcatchR
September 14, 2004, 08:29
TNX guys,
There's nothing sexier than an Izzy HbaR except maybe an Hbar with a 'bren' thirty rounder hanging out of it.

I thought I 'heard' something about FN74 and the vest...

Those are mag pouches that I built,and Tim I'll show the whole 'shebang' over the next week or so.
The curse of gearbuilding(refer to all 'geardo' discussions pertaining to"do I mod or build from scratch?,hhehehe).

The big picture is that you see a set of shoulderstraps for a pack I built.
I set up:
1-the vest with line 2 survival and combat gear
2-a pack with all my 'non-combat "survival" stuff' in case I needed to ditch the heavy hardware,or incase I had someone around to help carry gear.This is a spin-off of the rear pocket I built,larger and with some shoulderstraps.
3-A sub-pack for the main pack that acts like the big pocket on the back of the SA LBV.Because there was more 'combat' survival gear` than 'civvy'.

The two packs are attached by a system I cooked up...the whole deal has to be 'tight' enough to stand a jump off the high dive(into the pool,hehehe)and to stand the rigors and movement of swimming.I also put some velcro on the Shoulder-straps,I read that in another shakedown somewhere.
The whole thing has to be 'loose' enough to ditch with one hand.

It looks really 'loud',,,I make it a habit to use contrasting thread/material when I do mods(to make it easy to seperate what I did).It all fades and gets dirty anyway.

It's a thing i don't expect anyone else to really 'need' but there are some ideas that can be applied to other vestyrig applications.

BulletcatchR

TimW
September 14, 2004, 18:51
Originally posted by B Wood
Hey Tim!

Didn't know you sirfed here! LOL

Put me down for at least two of the new mag pouches. OD color.

Cant wait to see the new pouches.

To anyone else looking for .308 mag pouches.....I have researched many of them....save yourself a long term headache and just buy the ones Tim is talking about...I have seen the pics of these pouches....they look great.....

Tim......is High Speed making the pouches also?

Yeah...I been a member here for quite a while...don't get over here as much as I used to, but trying to change that.

I'll put you down for the pouches...I think I'll have enough. :)

Roger up at CTC is doing them for me...Gene is overworked as it is.

http://www.practicaltactical.net/assets/images/db_images/db_MLCS308-FrtOpen1.jpg

I've also got a utility/hip pouch in the works, being done for me by Jon at Recce Gear. They'll be somewhat akin to the PLCE style pouches, can fit an entire STRIKE GP Upright pouch in it (for size comparison), and will have internal "D" rings for dummy coring gear and PALS webbing on sides for...whatever. About $35-$38 each (final TBD). I thought I had emailed som pics...I'll hhave to get them u/l when I get the final versions....

...and you'll want...how many? :rofl:

B Wood
September 14, 2004, 19:08
Yo Tim!

Should I just set up a Direct Deposit for new gear? *G*

I am blaming FN74 for my future bank account balance declining while yours goes up! *G*

Talked with FN74 today.....actually he IS causing my bank account to go down even more...he HAD to go out and find some mint Yugo SKS's in the cosmoline....LOL

Oh...I am going to do a review of your vest on my site www.valmet-weapons.com in the next week or so.....would love to review the mag pouches and any other items as well. Are you going to have any AK mag pouches as well? I am sure they would move with all of us Valmet lovers.

Thanks for all Tim! and keep the great gear coming!

TimW
September 14, 2004, 19:16
Originally posted by B Wood

Oh...I am going to do a review of your vest on my site www.valmet-weapons.com in the next week or so.....would love to review the mag pouches and any other items as well. Are you going to have any AK mag pouches as well? I am sure they would move with all of us Valmet lovers.

Thanks for all Tim! and keep the great gear coming!

No plans for AK pouches since I don't own one. I'll trade you two pouches for an AK or Galil...straight across.

"Like I said, Mr. Earp, you won't find a better deal in town limits..."

The High Speed Gear UMMP series of pouches will hold AK mags...2 in each poclet for a total of 4 per pouch. Got a couple in Khaki....

:D