PDA

View Full Version : Tapco's Green "rubber" mag pouches

stargazer
September 12, 2001, 22:16
I just received (5) of Tapco's green "rubber" pouches and they are very nice indeed! (3) of them are almost new and the other (2) are just scuffed a bit. The material is very similar to the Glock polymer holster material, just a bit more flexible, not a "plastic or rubber" type feel. They are much more sealed from the elements than the leather ones, have drain holes in the bottom if ever needed, and are (2) ounces lighter!

Mags fit the pouch perfect and are easier to extract than in my leather ones. The effort in design and molding on these pouches is awesome. For the protection it offers and the price, $3 each, these are hard to beat! :D
http://stargazer111.home.mindspring.com/magpouch.jpg

Blag
September 12, 2001, 22:34
I agree, I got some of these, and I like them too. Condition of mine was in the range of excellent - nearly new. A definite bargain, I think.

We should prob'ly be in Reviews, tho. :cool:

Chupacabra
September 13, 2001, 00:39
Are those single or double mag pouches?

EMDII
September 13, 2001, 01:05
Originally posted by Chupacabra:
<STRONG>Are those single or double mag pouches?</STRONG>

Each 'mouth' holds one pouch, or two per assembly. They're for the G-3/CETME.

September 13, 2001, 01:08
COOL! those look great! Will they fit a normal size web belt and how do they attach?

EMDII
September 13, 2001, 01:12
They have molded belt loops that probably fit a bit snuggly over a USGI web-belt. I think they will not easily slip over the buckle, and would require some creativity to use on the USGI. I have a few, and keep them around for my CETME 'kit'.

AndrewWalkowiak
September 13, 2001, 10:39
Anybody order a Century FrankenFAL lately?

Mine came with one of these thrown in the box. Not bad. Probably cost them $.25 each or less in bulk, but I appreciate the freebie none the less.

I should have ordered another from Tapco when I bought thier 4 mag + loader deal.

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Andrew Walkowiak ]

Timber Wolf
September 13, 2001, 13:17
I use these for my CETME mags, just to keep different mags in different carriers. Canadian pouches for FAL mags, US GI for M14. Still want a chest pouch though.

stargazer
September 13, 2001, 16:03
Blag, The moderators love to move these posts around so I thought I would start it here instead and let them move it if they desire.

308, Like EMDII said, there are molded in belt loops on the back, (2) of them, and there is a small horizontal loop near the top on the back as well. Looks like an Alice clip would work there, but it would be a loose fit probably since there is only one loop that way.

Sure, they were made for the G3/Cetme mags, but a FAL mag sure fits in nicely as the pix shows. For $3 bucks, still hard to beat! :cool:

floatingFAL
September 13, 2001, 22:16
They do not fit US pistol belt without major
modification.

ksuguy
September 14, 2001, 00:52
I got one of these with my CETME from Wholesale Guns and Ammo. I'm not a big fan of them. The people at Wholesale folded it in half before they stuck it in the skinny rifle shipping box and by the time it got to me, it had a nice permanent fold in it. I've tried straightening it out, but it just rebounds back into shape. I like the leather Austrian pouches I got from DSA better.

capkid
September 14, 2001, 09:16
Mine we not new, but still good.
Cut them apart; one on lt/rt side of back.
I feel that they are a little more useful this way, still carry pistols.
capkid

Benjamin
September 14, 2001, 11:28
Gentlemen, do the mags rattle around in the pouches, or is it a snug fit?

ksuguy - if you're determined to straighten it out, heat it around the fold, then lay flat with weight on top so it won't curl back up.

vfrdirk
September 14, 2001, 13:53
Benjamin,

The mags fit nicely into the pouch, they almost squeak going in. It's made of rubbery-like material, so it muffles some of the sound that rounds can make inside a magazine, too.

Overall they're nice for a makeshift pistol belt, but they don't fit the standard USGI belt very well...

Dirk

EMDII
September 14, 2001, 17:41
Originally posted by floatingFAL:
<STRONG>They do not fit US pistol belt without major
modification.</STRONG>

Damn right!

I looked again, and the slot is brely 2" tall. The USGI belt is at least 3" tall!

These are good 'light duty' pouches.

ksuguy
September 14, 2001, 17:45
Originally posted by Benjamin:
<STRONG>Gentlemen, do the mags rattle around in the pouches, or is it a snug fit?

ksuguy - if you're determined to straighten it out, heat it around the fold, then lay flat with weight on top so it won't curl back up.</STRONG>

I might try that Benjamin. I tried leaving a heavy weight on top of them and letting them sit overnight, but I didn't think about heating them first.

Hawk
September 14, 2001, 18:42
These pouches have been around a long time had some for the HK91 way back. I think they were surplus W. German mag pouches from the 1970's.

They will not fit the USGI belts and I would be curious in some of the "creative" ways you guys managed to put them on? I can only get them to fit my regular 1.5" leather belt, the one I wear to keep my pants up. I was wondering if they fit the surplus German web gear harnesses I keep seeing for sale?

I have found that the most cost effective and best way to carry 20 rd .308 mags is with USGI M-16 pouches, you know the ones that carry 3 30rd mags. Just cut out the mag silencers and it will carry 2 .308 mags perfectly.

BTW with heavy use those rubber mag pouches tend to tear at the crease for the hinged flap....at least mine are.