PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this?

BILL AT TAPCO.COM
March 19, 2002, 17:08
Narrow flip up plate. Not sure of it's origin.

Thanks,
Bill

http://www.tapco.com/item_pics/buttplates.jpg

ce
March 19, 2002, 17:23
That is a field modified "Sveltza" model buttplate, as issued to the IDF unit made up entirely of women, "Battalion Amazonia".
They were all expert snipers equipped with Heavy Barrel FALs, but the butt plate on original models would catch on their brasiers, and so were trimmed to allow for more accurate shooting, and easier handling.

HTH

Buddie @ www.tapco.com
March 19, 2002, 19:03
Kevin,
Where are you?

Buddie

NZ L1A1 Collector
March 19, 2002, 19:16
Hi buddie, I'm here..... i don't know anything about this one....... I guess ce could be correct. I haven't heard about this problem before, But it seems fesable.

I sent a email to Bill asking some questions about the unknown handguards.

did the strap come attached to the butt plate?...... the butt plate is clearly marked with Israeli markings.

jimmieZ
March 19, 2002, 19:19
Appears to be a "real" butt plate for the Belgian HB FAL (don't remember the "number designation"). I haven't seen one of those - except on a new Belgian rifle - in a few years.

Jim Z

jimmieZ
March 19, 2002, 19:21
Could also be a Galil flip-up butt plate. I never really saw one of those -but it's possible.

Jim Z

Falcon
March 19, 2002, 23:04
Just a scientific wild ass guess, with slim to no odds, but I thought it kinda, sorta, maybe looks like one from a T48E1 depicted in fig 31 of the T-48 jan 55 US Army manual.

NZ L1A1 Collector
March 20, 2002, 00:59
Going on falcon's "scientific wild ass guess" and doing some more detective work I would say that the strap is that of the FN TYPE 'A' FALO butt plate. I'm not sure it the strap is different on the TYPE 'B'

The butt plate is Israeli, based on the FAL TYPE 'B' FALO butt plate.

Ref: The FAL Rifle page 349 Fig 380.

Mr pogo
March 20, 2002, 04:56
The flip up plate looks of FN origins IMO. Could be early Izzy, however if so thats not the proper matching buttplate. The correct flip up would be ribbed with the Izzy part number 1217-0133 as per the buttplate part number 1217-0123.