PDA

View Full Version : HK Folder KITS - Legal ?

WHO
March 18, 2002, 18:23
I couldn't help noticing the folder kits which are being offered by FAC and Jdetmer or
however it is spelled,and wonder if these
reasonably priced kits are another devious
way to lure me into building a totally illegal weapon- I am a mere mortal who counts his US parts, and I can't get a response from either retailer- have e-mailed
both twice in the last month.
Any advice is appreciated !
Thanks.
WHO-
:cool:

fresca
March 18, 2002, 18:36
There are US parts available for them just like FAL's. The folder cannot fold, though, you would have to permanently pin it open.
Having used a lot of HK rifles and subguns I have to imagine they are a bitch to build compared to an FAL.
HK91.com is, I believe, the sister site to this one. Take a look there. You can legally do it though.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: fresca ]

cc48510
March 18, 2002, 20:39
The folder by itself does not make a rifle illegal. What would make it illegal would be if you built a Post-Ban with 2 or more evil features. So, presuming you were to not change either of the 2 defining features: semi-automatic action and detachable magazine, you could have 1 of the following: Pistol Grip, Folding Stock, Threaded Barrel, Flash Hider, Bayonet Lug, and Grenade Launcher.

So, if it is Semi-Automatic, accepts Detachable Magazines, and has a Pistol Grip you will have to pin the stock open. But, if you were to find a Pre-Ban you could install the stock on it without any alterations.

cc48510
March 18, 2002, 20:43
The stock could legally be installed in the following cases:

1) If you removed the Pistol Grip.
2) If you were installing it on a Pre-Ban.
3) If you were to fix the magazine in place so that it could only be removed by disassembling the rifle.
4) If the stock was pinned in a given position (open or closed).
5) If you were to alter the gun so that it was a single-shot rather than a Semi-Automatic.
6) If you were to install the stock on a legally registered Machine Gun.
7) If you were a Type 07 FFL (Manufacturer) as long as you properly marked the Rifle as LEO-Restricted.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: cc48510 ]

MickeyMouse
March 18, 2002, 20:53
With an HK, things are easier than most guns. Pin the folder in CLOSED position. Buy a fixed stock and change stocks depending on what amuses you at the time. Takes all of 15 seconds.

Building an HK is not rocket science. Little mor ework but fewer tools than a FAL.

JLH
March 18, 2002, 21:26
The thing to do is build a HK with the regular plastic furniture, and keep the folder for when (hopefully) the Brady Bill sunsets.

Even better keep the flashhider too, when it does throw on your collapsible stock, flashhider and.....voila!

Preban!

Bet your ass those folder kits won't last at the price, considering alot of people just sell the damn stocks for the price of those kits.

Pete2
March 19, 2002, 09:44
Originally posted by cc48510:
<STRONG>The stock could legally be installed in the following cases:

1) If you removed the Pistol Grip.
2) If you were installing it on a Pre-Ban.
3) If you were to fix the magazine in place so that it could only be removed by disassembling the rifle.
4) If the stock was pinned in a given position (open or closed).
5) If you were to alter the gun so that it was a single-shot rather than a Semi-Automatic.
6) If you were to install the stock on a legally registered Machine Gun.
7) If you were a Type 07 FFL (Manufacturer) as long as you properly marked the Rifle as LEO-Restricted.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: cc48510 ]</STRONG>

8) You registered it as a Short Barreled Rifle.

eodinert
March 19, 2002, 10:22
Originally posted by Pete2:
<STRONG>

8) You registered it as a Short Barreled Rifle.</STRONG>

I don't think this one will do it.. I believe an SBR still has to comply with the crime bill.

-doug

Pete2
March 19, 2002, 13:48
Originally posted by eodinert:
<STRONG>

I don't think this one will do it.. I believe an SBR still has to comply with the crime bill.

-doug</STRONG>

Oops, you're right. I'd thought there was an exception for NFA weapons, but it's just Machineguns and AOWs.