PDA

View Full Version : Happy St. Patricks Day Again...

Celtic warrior
March 17, 2002, 08:59
To you all,
The ONLY day of the year that I use my hyphenated Irish-American name.
Proud of my heritage, but I am an American PERIOD!

shootist
March 17, 2002, 11:21
Celtic warrier I agree 100% except I consider myself an American of Irish decent not an Irish American. My family has been in this counrty since the 1860's.

I feel this is one of the main problems in this counrty. Many who were born here don't consider themselves as americans first.

There is nothing wrong with maintaining your heritage and culture, but most of these hyphenated Americans have never been to their country of origin and yet still think of themselve as a Hyphen instead of American.

Happy St. Patricks day.

bushka
March 17, 2002, 21:27
i ain`t irish-but i ate cornbeef`n`cabbage
today and now i am FARTIN`UP A STORM!!!! :D

shootist
March 17, 2002, 22:24
Billyboy, Try about a six pack with that corned beef and cabage and you'll have enough gas to float the Hindenberg.

*Templar*
March 17, 2002, 22:46
ERIN GO BRAUGH!

Hell, ALBA GO BRAUGH!

Back in 1999, I studied Irish History and Irish Archaeology at the National University of Ireland, at Galway. Great country, great people, great beer, but only so many ways to cook a damn potato.

Went up into the North and hung out in Derry and Belfast for a couple of days. One of the most intense experiences of my life was hanging out with some "boyos" in West Belfast in July. You know you're in for a ride when you are walking up to a taxi and overhear the drivers talking about Sterlings and RPG's before they notice you :eek:

Believe me, there are definitely two sides to the issue of Northern Ireland, and that's a whole thread (or book) in itself. I will say that the people of Belfast are living in a Police State, both Protestant and Catholic. Somewhere there is camera footage of me relieving myeslf into to the urinal at the Ulster Bus station...they ahd video cameras taking your picture right above the urinals!

Anyway, CHEERS MATE!

[ March 17, 2002: Message edited by: *Templar* ]

gunplumber
March 18, 2002, 00:46
Uh - enlighten me. Wasn't St. Patric the genocidal mass-murderer who eliminated all the Pics?

*Templar*
March 18, 2002, 01:14
Mark, Padric went to the Picts to try to convert them to Christianity, he was from a very well to do Romanized British family, but the Picts didn't take kindly to his mission and he was made a slave. He escaped and made his way to Ireland, where his attempts as Christianizing were received a little better than they were with the Picts.

The Picts weren't wiped out by anyone, but their kingdom and territory was continually pushed to the East by the Irish who were landing in the West of what is now Scotland and founding the Kingdom of Dalriada in the 4th Century AD. These "immigrants" from Ireland were known as Scots, or "raiders" (like Viking means "raider" in Norse). The Scots continued to push in from the West until there were two roughly equally sized kingdoms, Scotland and Pictland. They were united into one kingdom, Scotland, under Cannaeth (Kenneth) Mac Alpin in 841 AD. The Pictish people and culture were basically swallowed into the Scottish culture and Gaelic was the language of hte realm.

My last name is actually Pictish in origin, my father's family came from the East Cost of Scotland, where the Picts held onto their culture the longest. Lots of place names are in Pictish (not Gaelic) in the East of Scotland.

Only genocide Padric was ever accused of was against reptiles........
:D

Sorry to go on like that.......went to school for it :D

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: *Templar* ]

gunplumber
March 18, 2002, 13:30
Exactly. It was my understanding (perhaps erroneous) that when patric pushed the "serpents" into the sea to their deaths it was a euphamism for the pagan pics, not reptiles.

Oh, and "viking" (prounounced "vicking" was a verb, not a noun. "to go vicking" and is generally recognized as being from the first raid on Lindisfarm in 793 to the death of King Harald Hadraada, king of norway, who died at the battle of Stamford Bridge in 1066 fighting to take the English throne.

[ March 18, 2002: Message edited by: gunplumber ]

panzer
March 18, 2002, 15:26
Originally posted by Celtic Warrior:
<STRONG>To you all,
The ONLY day of the year that I use my hyphenated Irish-American name.
Proud of my heritage, but I am an American PERIOD!</STRONG>

what exactly do you mean by hyphenated Irish American name? :confused: