PDA

View Full Version : SA Pat 70 water bottles& carrier?

SmokeEater2
July 05, 2004, 20:21
Anyone know of a US source for these? I bought one of the Pat70 sets from quack and love it. I'd just like to add these to it .

Thanks, Allen

J. Armstrong
July 23, 2004, 21:02
I'd be interested, too. Anybody?

mparrish
July 25, 2004, 17:08
Canteens are scarce. Pouches can still be found. Check with The SWAT Shop or Capeboer/Andre.

SmokeEater2
August 02, 2004, 13:23
Are the canteens the same type as the US ones? the canteen cup looks the same. anybody got a pic?

yovinny
August 18, 2004, 15:02
I've been waiting to hear/see something here about the canteen's myself.
After 2 weeks with no responce, I'll at least share what little I know and a pic of the ones I have. These are all commonwealth, but I cant say for certain exactly where from as there not marked. I believe the far left is S. African, as the textured snap's and material match other S. African gear I have. The middle might be Indian, as the material is similiar to other Indian gear I have.
All the covers were bought at shows over 10 years ago and seperately from the canteens, also all the canteens and/or cup's are dated in the 1980's. The canteen's come in 2 sizes, note the 2 set's of cover snap's and that the canteen on the far right is the shorter style and almost the same hight as a US canteen.
Maybe someone who know's more can correct any mistakes and give some more info.
Cheers, YOOO VINNY

yovinny
August 18, 2004, 15:34
Forgot about this one, found it when I put the others away. Canteen and cup are plastic, broad arrow marked, dated 1974. No markings on the carrier but it has the brit style double C clip belt attachments as opposed to the web belt hangers on the other ones.
Cheers, YOOO VINNY

J. Armstrong
August 18, 2004, 18:58
Thanks for sharing those pics, Vinny. May prove helpful in my/our search. At present I'd settle for the pouches. Keep an eye open ,guys, I'll do likewise. Should mention that I'm interested in any SA or Rhodie web or accessories to complement The Pat 70 I got from Quack. ( Nice stuff, highly recommend , and a pleasure doing biz with Quack, as well)

SeppP
August 19, 2004, 07:47
Vinny,

The single canteen looks like a Brit for p58 LBE. I think the others are variations of Brit p44.

yovinny
August 20, 2004, 15:09
Originally posted by SeppP
Vinny,

The single canteen looks like a Brit for p58 LBE. I think the others are variations of Brit p44.

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. I dont know much about this commonwealth gear, I just like all this stuff and have collected a bunch over the years. Are the metal canteen's the right style except for the carriers ?? I'm curious now because all 3 metal canteen's are dated in the 1980's. Did they keep the same style and size all those years ??

Cheers, YOOO VINNY

SmokeEater2
August 20, 2004, 15:48
OK, I just got a SA cover and cup from capeboer, the cover has the green spring snap on the back like most pat70 pieces along with 2 belt loops. its just smaal enough that a US plastic canteen won't quite fit with the cup in place.
the cup is the same type as a WWII US cup with the underfolding handle.

From another sorce I got an older metal canteen thats smaller than US issue, it has a metal cap thats attached by a green leather strap. the only markings I can find are " PSL 65". anyone have any ideas as to its origin?:?

yovinny
August 20, 2004, 16:20
Glad you found the pieces you needed for you'r rig, but I'm totaly confused now with this Brit/Commonwealth gear.
You'r new canteen is SMALLER than a US one ?? The metal ones above are all much larger, even the shorter one is still larger in diameter. US style canteens just swim in these carriers, even with the cup in place and closed on the lower snap's. US canteen cup's will not fit on these metal canteens and are too small, I had to search show's with a canteen to find larger ones for these three.
Even the canteen carriers/pockets on my original Rhodi gear and fireforce vest seem to be for the short, larger diameter, metal canteens, although all the others I've ever seen have had the black plastic US style ones in them.....

AAARRRRHHHHHH!!!!!! :redface:

Now I know why I like USGI gear best :wink:

mparrish
August 20, 2004, 16:38
SE2, you dog! ;) Out bid me on that, eh? Anyway, thanks for posting about it. Good info to add to the collection.

SmokeEater2
August 20, 2004, 21:52
Sorry about that mparrish, but if its any consolation, adding the bid price and shipping from South Africa, This has got to be the most 'spensive canteen cover and cup in History! And I still don't have a SA canteen.:sad: :cry:

SeppP
August 23, 2004, 08:01
Originally posted by yovinny

Thanks for the info, that's interesting. I dont know much about this commonwealth gear, I just like all this stuff and have collected a bunch over the years. Are the metal canteen's the right style except for the carriers ?? I'm curious now because all 3 metal canteen's are dated in the 1980's. Did they keep the same style and size all those years ??

Cheers, YOOO VINNY

P58 was the main LBE in the early 80s but parts of the p44, designed for jungle use, was still used as needed.

RLB
August 23, 2004, 16:21
Is this what your looking for?

SmokeEater2
August 23, 2004, 17:25
RLB, Yup, thats the cup and carrier I have, Is that a SA canteen? If so, wanna' sell it?:wink:

RLB
August 23, 2004, 18:08
According to Peter Wells it is a SA canteen.

Peter Wells
September 15, 2004, 13:54
Sorry for the delay but now that I don't have a regular job I have to work for a living.

RLB's pics show all the attributes of a patt '74 SA set. I don't know of any variations - bottle, cap and connector all green plastic, stainless US type cup with under-folding handle, green canvas cover with only two snaps on front, clip on reverse to locate/hang between kidney pouches and little web tab on front.

Andre/Capeboer can confirm in need.

Regards to all.