PDA

View Full Version : YUGO 59/66

WiFAL
March 16, 2002, 22:54
EMDII I know you'll bump this to C&R but get this. I went to pick up my FR 8 at Dunhams tonight and saw a flyer on the door with a Sunday only price of $189 on the Yugo 59/66 aka SKS 7.62x39. I know J&G offers them at $150 but I like to see what I'm buying and don't mind paying a retailer some profit for carrying an inventory.

So I see one in the display case. Its well worn and I'm no fan of the 7.62x39 but it's intriguing. Looks a lot better than a Chinese SKS with the grenade launcher and so forth. I ask the gal if she has any in back. Yes, two more. She brings them out. BANGO first one out of the box looks like its brand new. Matching numbers everywhere. Metal as black as the ace of spades. Wood is perfect and butt pad looks brand new. All numbers are painted clear as day.

Well I just had to buy it. Got it home and the barrel cleaned out to reveal a bright bore with no pitting.

Someone posted that this is the golden age of C&R. They weren't kidding. If you guys have a chance, jump on these.

By the way. I still got the FR 8 and its a beautuy too. Great wood and 98% finish on the metal. Great bore just begging for some 7.62x39.

[ March 16, 2002: Message edited by: WiFAL ]

BUFF
March 17, 2002, 01:51
WiFAL-
Isn't the FR-8 7.62x51 NATO? Or is mine a rare, one-off factory prototype?

Mad Dog 7.62
March 17, 2002, 04:51
Just got one of the Yugo SKS's from SOG. Very good condition, neat features, not even in the same class as the Chinese guns. Can't hardly beat some of the deals on some of the C&R stuff!

Kharn
March 17, 2002, 09:57
Buff: All FR-8s are 7.62x51.

Kharn

WiFAL
March 18, 2002, 08:25
Buff - Yes the FR 8 is 7.62 x 51. Guess I got preoccupied with the Yugo.

BUFF
March 18, 2002, 09:03
Easily done, the Yugo SKS's are pretty cool.

I am preoccupied with my new FR-8!

Paul Cox
March 18, 2002, 09:52
I picked one up in good condition from AIM Surplus for $129. The bore was fairly dirty and didnt clean up to well but out at the range you would never know. I repeatedly hit an 8 inch gong at 200 yds with it! Not match territory but it proved to be a great shooter for the price

You gotta love those flip up tritium night sights. Mine are dim but definately still active.

The whole experience kinda took me back to the good ol' days of $69.99 Norinco SKS rifles.

BigOne
March 19, 2002, 14:18
I picked on up here in Canada a few months back. Still packed in the grease and paper. Lovely little toy.

Price is about the same as in the U.S. when you figure in the exchange, they were going for just under 300 cdn.

Beautiful quality and workmanship.

rob1
March 19, 2002, 16:43
I just got mine from (gasp) Century, a March "cracked stock" special for $99. I wasnt expecting much, but was shocked by what I got, a VERY minor crack in the stock, bluing probably 70-75%. Bore is ever so slightly dark, but I haven't even run a brush or patch through that yet. YMMV, but I am extremely happy with what I got, and thinking about getting another!