PDA

View Full Version : Companion Handgun

BeefaloBart
June 12, 2004, 15:53
I am totally sold on the FAL for a MBR and in a shorter 18" package its a bit handy with the right addons. But what would be a good companion Handgun to carry with the rifle. Here are some I am considering.

Standard Issue type 1911 minor mods
Beretta M92
Para DAO comact
Para single stack DAO
CZ75
Glock 22

These all are budget minded cept the Para being $800 but well worth the money. If money were no object which it is lol, Hk Tactical would be added to the list as would the Hk P9 or P7M13/7. I have carried all sorts of 1911 clones and they all do a great job if tuned right. The Beretta is a fine weapon if the mags are ok, and 9mm is fine as long as shot placment is good. Then again if I go with a CZ75 which I love and like an idiot sold my last 2. The CZ has proved to be the most reliable handgun ever built for any reason. I have used them in stock form, and once as a race gun owned by Les Bear (meet him in Berlin in the 80s) The Para DAO I wasnt sure about til I actually used one and WOW that trigger isnt bad.

What does everyone else carry as a companion to there FAL.

gates
June 12, 2004, 16:45
i carry a glock 23 stone stock w/nite sites wherever i go-awesome weapon.

aj

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 17:04
Originally posted by BeefaloBart
I am totally sold on the FAL for a MBR and in a shorter 18" package its a bit handy with the right addons. But what would be a good companion Handgun to carry with the rifle. Here are some I am considering.

Standard Issue type 1911 minor mods
Beretta M92
Para DAO comact
Para single stack DAO
CZ75
Glock 22

What does everyone else carry as a companion to there FAL.

Get the one in the biggest caliber with which you can reliably hit an e-type silhouette. All those you 'recommend' are excellent pistols. Which one works is ALL that matters. Preference is just that: preference. What feels right in your hand will usually work right. Do not buy a handgun on appearances alone. It, and YOU, MUST perform.

Don Williams
June 12, 2004, 23:17
as wimpy as it sounds I carry a makarov in my web gear. The rifle is where I would want the weight.

Arby
June 12, 2004, 23:35
Companion pistol for a FAL? Why, there is but one choice - The FN Browning Hi-Power!

Another product of FN.
Elegant and reliable, like the FAL.
The choice of many armies, like the FAL.
A true 20th Century classic!

crazyk2758
June 12, 2004, 23:58
My first choice is a Glock. Pick your favorite caliber. I have it in 9mm or .45. Want to get a Glock 22 in .40 cal. FWRA's group by is very tempting. Glocks goes bang everytime, with good factory ammo. One of the few guns I will trust after dumped/dragged/left in the mud. After that my Browning Hi Power in 9mm. After that, my ParaOrdinance Gov't Model. P-12. Not really a fan on the Colt grip safety, but it is small compact, and still has 12 rounds in it.

SHARPSHOOTER
June 13, 2004, 00:55
What ever you get practice, practice, practice and then practice some more. Good handgun skills are harder to obtain than good rifle shooting skills and leave you quicker if they are not maintained. As for your choice as Ted stated what ever feels best in your hand and and can be effieciently used by you will be your best choice. I have always liked a 1911 45 acp. I think it is a fine combat handgun. It is not a practical choice for everyone however and the 45 takes a higher degree of training to be profecient with than other smaller calibers. The same thing applies for a 357 mag, I like every one else these days who earns a living carrying a handgun use a Glock and consider it to be about the finest combat handgun available today IMHO. I do not feel that caliber is as improtant as being skilled with what you are carrying. Remember it is just a tool to accomplish the job, the better that you can use your tool, the better you will be able to accomplish your job and come home safely.

mparrish
June 13, 2004, 20:09
Amen to sharpshooter.

edblevi
June 13, 2004, 21:44
Sharpshooter is dead on with his comments. Lately I have been concertrating on my rifle skills with the FAL and AR. Using open sights or optic enhanced, reloading and working with my gear for speed. Well I haven't shot my handguns at all in the past few months until just the other day and I was greatly dissapointed. I am a Glock lover (G20 w/ my AR setup and G17 with the FAL setup). Don't ask me why the specific setup, it just gives me piece of mind to have the G20 with the AR and the G17 with the FAL. Oh back to the discussion.... Well to make a lo

BeefaloBart
June 14, 2004, 02:05
Makarov is a fine handgun that will work very well when the chips are down. For those who complain that it is underpowered I just say get shot by one and tell us that again lol.

I will say the best feel would be the CZ75, never used the compact but the full size is one hard nut to crack. You cant hardly break them, I wish I had pics of my field carry CZ, I brought 2 back from Germany and paid $260 each for them. That was before we could get them over here and sold both once I returned from overseas for $450 each. One was a field gun in other words when I was on the tractor in the field it was on my hip. More than once did I plow under a hi cap mag. Bullet farming dont work trust me. The finish was gone from the slide and so were the sights. But it would function flawless when needed.

Seems like Im sold on the CZ again, they just feel good in the hand and will feed and work under the worst conditions. No other pistol IMHO will hold up to its reliability.

Thanks for the response just the same I allways like to check around for feelings on things before I purchase. May be why I got the FAL so many had so few bad things to say about them.
:fal:

EOD
June 14, 2004, 19:51
I feel most comfortable with a 1911 filled with hardball. Nothing fancy.

mcculver5
July 03, 2004, 06:47
I love CZs, they fit my hand. 'Specialy them big ol' .45 czs.

If you want a match you could get an imbel shorty with a springfield 1911. All Imbel baby.

fire for effect
July 03, 2004, 21:06
Originally posted by EOD
I feel most comfortable with a 1911 filled with hardball. Nothing fancy.

I don't think you can go wrong with a .45 .

This is how I look at it. What is finally going to put a man down is loss of blood. He can be high on dope or adrenillin, and still come at you, but he ain't goin' anywhere without blood!!! Now draw yourself a circle .45" in diameter. the area of this circle is roughly twice as large as the area of a .355" circle. It takes two .355" holes to equal the area of a .45" hole. take two buckets of water and shoot a hole in the bottom of each, one with a .45 and one with a 9mm. which one drains first. Now imagine the human body. Imagine Hardball in your .45. Now see two .45" holes in the body, one in front, one in back. two .45" holes to bleed out of. I don't think you can go wrong with the .45!!!

Broadsword
July 05, 2004, 14:31
Nothing says "Hey, everythings going to be fine. I got your back" Like a fist full of 1911 and seven rounds of 230 grain whoopass.
Ahhh. Dammit... I'm going to cry again.
I gotta go.
Broadsword