PDA

View Full Version : Ident/Technical: aftermarket Top Cover/ Scope Mount specs

BroncoMafia
May 27, 2004, 20:01
I somehow managed to wind up with a selection of different kinds of railed topcovers and measured them for future reference.
I don't have an accurate scale so I don't have weights, but of the 3, the ARMS mount was OBVIOUSLY much lighter than the other 2.

Two measurements are provided:
1. Width - this is the width of the mount/cover at it's widest on the bottom as viewed when looking from behind the reciever. For reference, an Imbel Gear Logo reciever is 1.39" wide.
2. Height - Again, this measurement is as viewed when looking from behind the reciever. Some vendors claim their monts are lower to provide a clear view through the iron sights. None of the mounts measured here interfered with using iron sights in any way.

Shared here for your enjoyment:
DSA
Width - 1.65"
height - 1.48"

TAPCO GEN 3
Width - 1.656"
height - 1.12"

A.R.M.S. #3
Width - 1.406"
height - 1.29"

If I get a chance, I may try to take some pics and pst them.

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:10
DSA w- red dot

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:11
DSA, Para, FAC-style (South African clone) sold by many

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:12
3/4 view

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:14
Golden Bear

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:16
More

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:17
ARMS that has been SUIT-adapted

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:18
SUIT mounted to ARMS

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 08:20
Aimpoint M2 mounted to ARMS w/ cantilever-

BroncoMafia
June 12, 2004, 08:24
Great pics Ted!
(that Aimpoint looks beautiful)
What is the "Golden Bear" exactly?

Muggzy
June 12, 2004, 09:31
hmmmmmm.....two canteens! that makes sense. I never have been there so I didn't ever think about running out of water or not having access to it. Well..
off to Army Surplus store.

Great Pic by the way. Looks like ya got the hang of the new camera.

see ya

Randy

EMDII
June 12, 2004, 10:01
- Golden bear were a manufacturing company in the 80s I guess. The casting was Al, and slid over the receiver. Six cap screws from beneath the rails pinched it to the receiver. Odd, but effective.

- The gear is Israeli EPHOD, an A-11 I got from SGT Elijah Wong (KIA 9 Feb). Wearing it is my way of honoring him.

The Fuji S5000 takes great pics, excellent macros too.

photomike
June 24, 2004, 08:44
Nice post.

Is it me or is that SA cover extra wide?

Looking for one of these (any) that will work and stay in place. DK if $98 v. $68 v.$49 is really worth the difference.

What do you think?

thanks,
Mike

Andy the Aussie
June 26, 2004, 21:14
Muggzy....while talking water.....it is not unusual to see Aussie Diggers out bush with 8-10 litres of water. It is a dry prick of a place out here sometimes...!!! I hunt in the far west of NSW and wont go away from the vehicle witout a 70oz Camelback and a couple of US canteens.

Great pics Ted.

Andy:)

EMDII
June 27, 2004, 13:13
The ARMS provides the best combination of looks and RTZ (return to zero) w/ the least amount of effort.

BlackCat
June 29, 2004, 23:53
I heard a nasty rumor that in ejection port in the ARMS needs to be dremeled pretty intensely for positive FAL functioning. Anybody here encountered that problem?

BroncoMafia
June 30, 2004, 07:51
Originally posted by BlackCat
I heard a nasty rumor that in ejection port in the ARMS needs to be dremeled pretty intensely for positive FAL functioning. Anybody here encountered that problem?

I have 3 of them and they all function perfectly out of the box (bag actually).

EMDII
June 30, 2004, 14:19
Originally posted by BroncoMafia

I have 3 of them and they all function perfectly out of the box (bag actually).

Ditto w/ 2 ARMS covers. IF you adjust the gas properly, NO problems.

Internet Rumor indeed. A Conspiracy more likely!
:wink:

BlackCat
June 30, 2004, 18:52
Not to beat this to death- BUT-
My FAL cycles balls-to-the-wall full open gas with extreme prejudice. With the valve fully open Im throwing brass a good 15-20 feet . I sent the thing to Rich@CGW for some work and asked him to take a look at the issue. He said it wasnt anything to really worry about, just that the previous owner of the barrel had opened the gas ports a smidgin. Anywho, since Im thinking of getting an ARMS, do you think this would be an issue RE: NON-correctly adjusted gas?
:uhoh:

Sabot 23
July 21, 2004, 16:57
Hey guys, I've been trying to get some opinions on a few of the FAL mounts out there on other boards, and just remembered that this one existed, and I'm already a member!

I bought and installed a top-cover mount rom FAC (gunsnstuff.net), it seemed to work fine, but by the time I had zeroed it in, it was already starting to get loose. Tightened the screws down again, but after about 200 rounds, screws were falling into the dirt, and the mount was falling apart and falling off.

This was like a $29 mount, so I guess you get what you pay for. I really do want a decent mount, though. I was considering one from DSArms, I belive it goes for $68, but before I shell out the dough, I wanted to get some real-world, first-hand opinions about it and some of the other models out there.

Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks.

Rooster
July 21, 2004, 17:18
Originally posted by Sabot 23
Hey guys, I've been trying to get some opinions on a few of the FAL mounts out there on other boards, and just remembered that this one existed, and I'm already a member! ...... I really do want a decent mount, though. I was considering one from DSArms, I belive it goes for $68, but before I shell out the dough, I wanted to get some real-world, first-hand opinions about it and some of the other models out there.

Thanks.

The DSA and ARMS mounts are both very good and readily available. The Williams Arms mount is also very nice but not as readily availble, although they do show up from time to time.

Rooster
July 21, 2004, 17:28
Here's a mount that I just received today from fellow member mojo_matic. I don't know the manufacturer but it seems rock solid. We will see after the next trip to the range.

#1 Side View

Rooster
July 21, 2004, 17:29
#2 3/4 View

Rooster
July 21, 2004, 17:30
#3 Back View

geerhed
July 22, 2004, 02:08
Interesting...Rooster, could that be somebody's WECSOG project? Not a mass-produced item? I've never seen one that had the stock cover underneath.

BTW, the more people who measure their mounts, the more reliable the data will become (hint, hint....TED!!!) ;)

EMDII
July 22, 2004, 03:53
That's an old Leaper's mount, imported a few years ago. Todd up in Ohio started that craze, and his were much better. He actually epoxied and riveted the rail to the cover.

Rooster
July 22, 2004, 09:21
Originally posted by EMDII
That's an old Leaper's mount, imported a few years ago. Todd up in Ohio started that craze, and his were much better. He actually epoxied and riveted the rail to the cover.

Ted, thanks for the ID on the Leapers mount. I knew someone here would know its origin. Although it is not riveted, the welds holding the rail and cover together seem quite strong and the mount is very solid.

Originally posted by geerhed
Interesting...Rooster, could that be somebody's WECSOG project? Not a mass-produced item? I've never seen one that had the stock cover underneath.

geerhed, here's another one of mine that has the stock cover underneath and it definitely isn't a WECSOG project. It's a British SUSAT mount.

http://www.hunt101.com/img/129095.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/129096.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/img/129097.jpg

MarkBall
July 22, 2004, 10:51
Originally posted by Sabot 23
I bought and installed a top-cover mount rom FAC (gunsnstuff.net), it seemed to work fine, but by the time I had zeroed it in, it was already starting to get loose. Tightened the screws down again, but after about 200 rounds, screws were falling into the dirt, and the mount was falling apart and falling off.

Thanks.

Sabot,
I have one of the FAC mounts, I used some blue Locktite on the screw threads, tightened them up. I backed the screws off slightly so I could remove the mount without loosening the screws. There is no side to side wobble, it re-zeros when removed. I only have to move a click or two up or down after removal. I've run about 300 rounds through it before removing during cleaning, then remounting.

You might try the locktite & don't over torque the screws.
Mark

Sabot 23
July 22, 2004, 16:33
Thanks, Mark!

That's the second time I have been advised to try Loctite. Now I just need to get some replacement screws to replace the ones lost in the dirt at the range, and a bottle of loctite. Sure beats ordering a new, $70 mount and then waiting for it to arrive.

I'll post my experience going the cheap route after I have had a chance to try it at the range. Thanks again.