PDA

View Full Version : Anybody from Tampa, fl or Atlanta, ga

geg
May 03, 2004, 18:10
Looking into jobs in these towns, and wondered how they are. Cost of living, crime or gang problems, gun friendly, good places to shoot. Any helpful info would be appreciated.

Glen.

P.S. Add Denver, CO. to the mix please.

Jailguard
May 03, 2004, 21:30
What do you do for a living?

P806
May 03, 2004, 21:56
Good luck!
I'm 60 miles south of Atlanta in God's country!

geg
May 04, 2004, 08:08
Thanks for the pleasantries. I'm in the HVAC trade.

Glen.

55bird
May 04, 2004, 08:30
Geg,Tpa.here.I'm in it also.I work at the cancer center,my buddy is top tech at one of the largest companies in town with 30 years in it.My other friend works for Trane.What do you need to know?

TFA303
May 04, 2004, 08:45
I used to live in ATL. It's way too big for me now (lots of traffic, very urban culture) , but a little farther north, Forsyth County or farther, is still nice. The city is still beautiful to visit for games, shows, eating out, etc. Away from the city is good gun-friendly territory.

I visited Tampa for 2 weeks at CENTCOM, but couldn't tell you much other than that the houses looked nice.

Best of luck,

Tom

Dick S
May 04, 2004, 10:00
I am in Construction in Atlanta. Several very good HVAC firms here to include McKenneys and B&W Mech. Very gun friendly out of City of Atlanta. Conceal carry license is about $44 the 1st time and $15 for renewal. Many indoor ranges but outdoor ranges are pretty remote and gun clubs can be pricey. Large group of shooters and collectors in the area. Gun shows nearly every weekend. Nice weather and usual big city crime. Give a hollar when you decide where to settle.

ProGun1
May 04, 2004, 13:53
I'm trying to find a place in north Cobb/Cherokee county and the prices are high. I wish it was ten years back that I was doing this because the amount of population influx and developement is overwhelming. I bought and lived in Griffin because it was expensive then. The so called taste of the mountains close to the city doesn't apply anymore. It is a developer's dream. Anyone selling property or a house with privacy please pm me. I'm looking for something between East Piedmont Road north to just above Hwy 92.

ProGun1
May 04, 2004, 14:06
Sorry for the thread hijack. I work at Hartsfield and the better places, for me, for commute and cost of living is definitely south along I-75 McDonough/Henry County or I-85 Newnan/Coweta County or Fayetteville/Fayette County. Houses around $150000 up with some property. It's booming though and the infrastructure is definitely behind the population expansion. If you can deal with driving up to an hour you'll still manage to find some property in Spalding County. My preference though my situation and needs changed that. County zoning ordnance requires 3 acres minimum to build on, no vehicle smog check, and definitely gun friendly outside of Griffin city limits. I had a range on my property and folks around me shot a lot. Prices are still reasonable but climbing because the word is spreading and folks are definitely commuting further. Atl has everything as far as entertainment and events just lacks a lot of public transit and is definitely behind the population boom IMO. Good luck.

K.O.A.M.
May 04, 2004, 20:44
I've lived in both, and if you like your crime and criminals predictable and centrally located, Atlanta's your place. The gun shopping's better in the ATL, but local color is few and far between in the burbs. I left in 98, and I barely recognized a lot of it last year.

Tampa, on the other hand has more mobile criminals and has a reputation for institutional corruption. It's also easier to live out of town and get into town. Plenty of local places to shoot, and while the shops aren't that great, there is a pretty good variety of gun shows. It also has a rich historical local tradition, which I much prefer.

geg
May 05, 2004, 21:13
That is alot of good info, and I really appreciate your time. No definites on a job just looking in a few different area's that are listing jobs that I might be qualified for. I also have interest in the Denver, CO. area if anybody knows anything. I live in a very small southern Virginia town now, and moving to a big city area is not that comfortable feeling. Except for the money.

Thanks again,

Glen.