PDA

View Full Version : Layout for Alice Pak?

Shadow_Walker
April 22, 2004, 17:07
Pardon my ignorance.... Ex-Navy, ya know?;) I'm wondering if there is such a thing as a standard layout for an Alice Pak... what goes where, what to carry in it, what goes in Butt-Pak and so on....

I'd think there should be... but have not seen one no matter what kind of search I try.:confused: I've seen lists of what to carry (all different) but never a packing order / arrangement recommendation. There must be some infantry or marines out here who can tell me what they were instructed in training.:cool:

If you'd rather PM me, that's okay... even any picks or scans of layouts.... just looking for what to pack if TSHTF and I gotta go help my Brothers at Arms... I have large assortment of gear but not sure what's needed or desired for portability from site to site.

Anyone help out here?:confused:

Thanks!!!!

-=[ Shadow Walker ]=- :biggrin:

1stSSPZ
April 22, 2004, 20:49
I have 2 separate set-ups ready to go. First is my 72hr sustainment rig. Consists of GI LBE with 2 canteens, 1st aid pack, lensatic compass, 2 E german AK ammo pouches with cleaning kit (current SHTF gun is AK-74) and butt pack. Butt pack consists of 3 MREs (1 per day) with poncho rolled underneath. Basic ammo load is 9 30rd mags loaded with 200 boxed rounds carried in chest rig.
ALICE pack consists of 2 sets BDUs, sleeping bag, poncho liner, 2-2 qt canteens, 6 pr socks. So far!

bradterry
April 24, 2004, 01:16
Usually a ruck load out is unit specific. My Butt pack has a little cold weather gear and survival kit. A little food. Cold weather gear; poly-pro top, watch cap, extra gloves.

Ratrig
April 24, 2004, 05:53
Mine's set up for my normal 2-week annual training (National Guard). It's my "B" Bag. It's setup with entrenching tool with case and stuffed NBC bag on the outside (ALICE-clipped). My Bed-roll is on the top. This consists of a Poncho liner& non-issue...(read light-weight) cocoon bag stuffed into a compression sack. I also have an extra d-clip carabiner, clipped on and I have 72 hours worth of socks, foot powder, MRE, and extra uniform, t-shirt, and jungle boots stuffed into it.

How your pack is stuffed is usually dictated by unit TACSOP or "Tactical Operating Procedures", plus whatever squad level additions you may need.

Good luck-setting up.

-Matt:D

Deltaten
April 24, 2004, 06:04
S-W:

As far as placement.....

For my med ALICE gear, I rely on the Boy Scout Manual and common sense to figger load placement. Inventory the contents, and place a mental "need" tag on each. Then, catagorize by bulky and/heavy. Actual contenets are personal and mission specific; but remember..you can never have enough dry sox!

Bulky/heavy items in the bottom; of course. Place hard/sharp cornered items towards the back of the pack, and softer units nearer your back. No need to have boot heel or bulk ammo digging into your spine. ;)
I always put 'fast response" items just under the top flap, directly under the poncho (quick, if needed fast, and helps keep all else dry). Outer pockets are used for specific items that may be needed w/o the hassle of unloading the main bag. I keep a pair of smoke grenades in a GI mag pouch attached to one of the top/side points ( also keeps flammables out of the pack!). Under that, I have a SAW pouch with mess gear, an MRE or two and room for a few snacks. L to R, in the integral pockets, I have 1) signal flares, 2)spare sox, a couple of lagre HD poly trash bags and 550 cord, 3) binocs and mebbe some more packaged snacks, or a spare mag. In the "tunnel" under the mid pocket, rides a small camp axe; a bayo or big knife can ride in one of the other "tunnels". Opposite side of pack has separate attached pouches for main First Aid kit, and a 2 qt.water bottle. Sleeping gear is rolled in a waterproof bag liner and strapped snugly to the bottom of the frame and pack. If needed, a small nylon tent is strapped to the top of the pack.

However you set it up, you will always find a better way to rig it each time you pack/re-pack. Keep it all secured tightly, and neat. You should be able to strap on, using the "scuba-tank", upside down/back over head, method without losing anything.

No wider than any door you may encounter; no taller than your head; no rattles or floppy stuff. Right, tight, and squared away!

I use the Deuce gear for rifle/pistol/survival equip only. I make sure that there is no interference between the LC-2 stuff and the main pack: ie: no butt-pack or gear at the rear of the harness. *IF* need arises, a smal butt-pack can be added.

I've used this packing system to back-pack/travel all over the country (sans combat harness! ;) ), and have found it to work very well. Pack's been thrown in the back of pick-ups, tossed onto busses, stowed in planes, and generally dragged all over Creation...never lost an item....yet.

HTH,
Paul

p.s. remember...always pack (even) more sox!

Deltaten
April 24, 2004, 06:15
Found the pic! One of our w/e camp/shoots. Did this just to see if I still could!:biggrin:

best,
Paul

May 02, 2004, 10:42
one great source is backpacker magazine, latest gear and techniques, but it all comes down to mission, weather, terrain, and what you need to get the job done. always try to keep the heavy stuff (water, ammo) as close to your back as possible to keep your load from pulling you back and remember last in - first out.

and don't forget to water proof everything you want to keep dry. line the pack with a tough plastic bag and wrap your sleeping bag in something water proof. wet gear weighs a lot. the most important point is not to carry too much crap around. if you plan to hump a load practice humping the load and ditch stuff that is not essential. a great piece of gear is the pancho and poncho liner, very light weight and will work as a sleeping bag down to the 40's and will also keep most of the rain off. the poncho liner is the infantry mans bestest friend and a lot lighter than a sleeping bag.