PDA

View Full Version : PT-03 "MESA": MOLLE-Enhanced-South African Vest

RickD
April 14, 2004, 21:38
http://www.practicaltactical.net/html/mesa_vest.html

Below is the MESA, which is a molle version of the South African vest. I've always kind of liked the SA vest, but found the construction to be a little on the floppy side and the condition of the used version to be variable.

I then found that, although I mostly like the vest, the pouches are not all in the places I would like them to be, and since I have a FAL, the mag pouches don't work well for that thick, stubby mag.

So I was considering getting a molle vest, and not particularly liking what I found until I saw the PT-03 MESA vest, which I recently purchased at a gun show.

I haven't purchased pouches yet since I am still trying to figure out what I want. I figuring on no more than eight FAL mags (in a pair of double-double mag pouches) across the front; a pair of utility pouches (one on the left, one on the right) and some pouches for radio, compass, etc.

Any opinions on the best pouches to get?

Thanks,

Rick

http://www.practicaltactical.net/assets/images/Protoype2-1.jpg

FAL4ME2
April 15, 2004, 00:37
For mags i like the dubble pat70 from Canada they have the pull tabs to lift
the mags out i just dremmel off the plastic tits and leve the plastic plate
to help suport the pouches they (velcrow) to atatch to abelt or to the
MOLE Vest straps.
They have 20rd'ers & some that are taller (they call 30s but dont hold 30rd FAL mags) but if you use Magpulls on 20s the tall ones work great.

RickD
April 15, 2004, 00:53
Gimme a link, man. A link. A link, I say.

Rick

TimW
April 15, 2004, 09:01
Rick - there is no link, I'll bet. Those are the same ammo pouches that I had on my LBE before I went to a vest...those surplus Canuck pouches....

Haven't told many folks this, but I am working on some prototypes of a 2x2 MOLLE ammo pouch designed for 308 magazines. I should get them within a couple weeks.

Oh, Rick? I am getting enough prototypes that you can use two of them for T&E.

These should be really nice when done...I hope! :)

medicman
April 15, 2004, 23:31
How much are those 308 mag pouches gonna cost?

TimW
April 15, 2004, 23:48
Originally posted by medicman
How much are those 308 mag pouches gonna cost?

No idea yet, since the prototypes haven't been made yet...somewhere less than $50.00, but more than $1.00

That's the best I can do at the moment. :)

RickD
April 16, 2004, 21:56
Tim, are you saying that you are going to have molle mag pouches designed specifically for *two* (one on top of the other) 20-round .308-type rifles?.

A double-double type would also fit my needs (2+2 and 2+2 for a total eight mags across the front).

My guess is that there are few others making such mag pouches.

I'm thinkin' FAL-Filers will have you on their speed-dialer/Favorites.

Rick

TimW
April 16, 2004, 22:41
Take one STRIKE double M-4 pouch.
Add miracle grow and water.

Voila.