PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions - Vest and Armor...

2ndssnco
April 08, 2004, 12:06
There's a very good chance I could get deployed to Iraq. I'm hoping (finger's crossed) we will be issued some decent body armor if we do go. What I'm wondering is what works better or makes more sense. I hate the issue LBV so I'm looking at making a purchase. Should I get a Tactical Tailor MAV and wear it over any issue armor vests or go with a Paraclete RAV that combines the armor and pouches in one piece of gear? Opinions and or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

CATM Larry
April 08, 2004, 12:18
What kind of unit are you in? I was issued an Interceptor vest when I went down range with the AF (maybe again soon), if that is the case you are in luck. Any type of MOLLE gear, Tactical Tailor pouches and some made by other companies will attach directly to the vest. I also have a Blackhawk Omega Tac Vest that I wore, I just let the side drawstrings out all of the way and it worked (barely) over my Interceptor vest with the hard plates. If you are issued the Interceptor with plates, they are heavy, bulky, tiresome and terribly uncomfortable. Tough sh!t, WEAR THEM!!! All of the info that I am getting from folks downrange is that they work very well. The throat and groin protectors, that is up to you, but definitely wear the plates! The vest system has been called one of the best improvements to soldier survivability in the last 50 years, right behind the MEDEVAC. Good luck and keep us posted. Just remember, getting home in the same condition you left is job # 1, God speed.

Larry

2ndssnco
April 08, 2004, 12:58
Going in with a 19D BRT (brigade recon troop). We are light scouts (Hummvee's) and I'm hoping I get something more than a flak vest. Like I said, I completely hate the issue LBV so I know I need something. The MAV looks good, but how does it fit over an Interceptor? The RAV looks like the cat's meow. Just trying to figure out what's best.

BroncoMafia
April 08, 2004, 13:13
The interceptor is covered with PALS webbing.
Why add the weight of another layer over that when you can attach your pouches directly?

All the Marines I have seen in recent action video have fresh Interceptors with Brown covers and Desert MARPAT bdus.

Looks like the supply chain is doing pretty well right now . . .

sniper40
April 08, 2004, 20:56
The bare basics would be a level 111A vest with level 111+ silicon carbide tiles. The new tiles have a weight of 1.4kgs each. If you can afford it get boron carbide tiles in level 111+ lighter again.

A good style vest made from goldflex with boron tiles should have the weight of around 5.5kgs and thats with a collar and grion flap.

Plus get a decent groin protector the ones on the interceptor are a little bit small for me.

Also get a good helmet one that is rated level 11 or 111A, the standard ones are rated level VF50(frag only)

The problem with having all yor gear secured to you vest is when you are behind the lines you have to strip off some of the pouches, Ive always found it makes sense to have a seperate overvest. Plus it adds an extra layer of protection for the armor to help against the carrier being torn.

slimshady
April 09, 2004, 23:35
Originally posted by sniper40

Plus get a decent groin protector the ones on the interceptor are a little bit small for me.

There you go bragging again....:)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

sniper40
April 10, 2004, 23:34
Have you seen the size of the grion protector on an interceptor?

It dosent even cover up the area on my 10year old son. :rolleyes:

Didn't mean to brag, maybe us Aussie's are bigger downstairs

:tongue:

Andy the Aussie
April 10, 2004, 23:45
What he ^^^^^^^^^ said......:biggrin:

gates
April 11, 2004, 10:05
go here: http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/ and ask the same question- probably wont get any different advice but worth a try.

place is full of been there done that types.

good luck!

aj

2ndssnco
April 16, 2004, 16:08
Sniper40, where do I find the better helmets? I knew they called the k-pots brain buckets for a reason, but I didn't know there was an improved model available. I'm assuming they don't issue the level III ones yet. If they are private purchase, assuming they will pass for an issue one, I would very much like to pick one up.

Thanks

Rifleman44
April 16, 2004, 19:22
I would recommend that you contact the Gunplumber (http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com) as he is very well versed on the subject.

I ended up buying his vest when he wasn't deployed again to the middle east.

Hope I've helped.

Thank you for serving.

Paige

sniper40
April 17, 2004, 22:18
You can try www.ballistics.com.au

Most companies only offer the VF50 rated helmets and issue helmts are only VF50 rated as well.

I have some experience in armor (I make body armor and armored vehicles)

The new level 111A helmets are lighter then the standard issue ones.

It wont be long before helmets are Level 111 or better.

If you cant find a US company that sells level 111a helmets let me know and I will try and get something together for you.