PDA

View Full Version : STRIDER KNIVES-OPINIONS?

gates
April 05, 2004, 21:08
THX

aj

yovinny
April 06, 2004, 06:29
You asked for opinions, so here's my $.002, you'r results may vary :)
While some think there the greatest think since sliced bread, I dont think there worth the money, are over rated and most important I dont find them at all comfortable. I could have had one when they first came out for $200. and passed on it. Today there $100.+ more and a 2 year wait from what I understand, or like most customs, available at a hefty mark up from a dealer right away. Although I've never handled one of the ones with G10 scales, just the cord wraped, they might feel a little better with a real handle. They still have no hilt (guard) and are just a blade and para-cord.
There made of ATS34 hardened to RC60-61, no matter what's said about a "special" hardening process, how they could be any different from any other ATS34 knife hardened to that range, is beyond me :?
A knife should fit you'r hand like it grew there and by feel alone should make you want to go cut something :D Compairing them to most other customs and even some factory knives, they leave me feeling there lacking and uncomfortable.
Knife blades are formed by either forging or stock removal, that is grinding away everything that dosent look like a knife. The Strider is a stock removal blade. Personally, I'll take a forged blade over stock removal for edge holding quality and blade "strength" and resilience. That's one reason I like Randalls, all forged blades and they fit you'r hand like nothing else. Hand a person a RMK for the first time, and if there any kind of knife person, you'll see there eyes light up. Hand them a Strider without telling them the price first and see what they think :tongue:
YOOO VINNY :shades:

gates
April 06, 2004, 08:49
thanks-very informative- the knives do seem expensive but those that use them
the hardest (mil. folks-sand pit type) seem to swear by them.

aj

etp777
April 06, 2004, 09:40
I can't say I'm overly fond of them either, though yeah, the Strider zealots love them. For a hard duty knife, I think best bang for the buck you're going to get is one from Swamp Rat Knife works.

yovinny
April 06, 2004, 09:42
I've read some glowing reports on them myself, along with most other knives out there. It's kind of the same thing with guns, when's the last time you read a bad gun review ?? This isent ment to flame you or Strider, just food for thought.
One thing that makes great business sense, in the long run for sales, publicity and endorsements. Give away or offer hefty discounts on a new product to the most elite segment of you'r target group. There not the first knife maker who's done just that, Bussie comes to mind. There also another company that almost doubled there prices once they got some "elite" publicity and endorsements. My brother is currently a member of the 7th SFG, through him is where I first heard about Strider. He passed on buying one, at quite a bit less than I could have, but he already carries a RMK 14. I believe if you offered them at todays prices, to any SF types, you'd see quite a bit of "passing" on purchases of them. Just my $.002 :wink:
YOOO VINNY

FortunateSon
April 06, 2004, 09:49
YO, VINNY! You were incorrect about a couple of things. Of course, if it doesn't feel good to you that's that. They originally came out in ATS34, but now are mostly S30V. I have an every day carry in BG42 that is awesome. I work it hard and it holds a great edge but isn't finished as nice as the S30V. Paul Bos does their heat treatment and is unarguably the best. No hilt on your Strider? All of mine have them. Using one of my Striders as a prybar, a job that it wasn't intended for, I broke it. Sent it in and received a brand new replacement mailed Overnight for free. Wouldn't even let me pay for shipping. So figure that kind of service into the price a bit. I know several dealers and none of them mark up the prices. May be some that do though.

yovinny
April 06, 2004, 10:37
Yo, FortunateSon, no flame here, dont get all worked up :biggrin: If there using other steels now, there web site dosent list it, I just went and checked. Heat treat and temper is all about the end result as far as I know. While Paul Bos has a good rep, I dont understand how there finished RC60 would be any different than any other heat treater ? As for the hilt, I havent seen a Strider with an added hilt, although I guess you'r speaking of the profile of the blade ? I guess I should have said they have no added wider hilt, just small out-croping guards of blade material in front of the handle. Customer service sounds good, I personally have yet to have any knife company not replace or repair a damaged knife for free, but have only needed it with cheaper folding knives. I thought that was one of there "claims to faim" that a Strider was "unbreakable" ?? As for the price, if you know of any dealers that have them for the $325. current list price, there are probably a few people here that would buy them. I think just last week someone on the knife & sheath thread made refrence to dealers asking $600. for a Strider.
YOOO VINNY

gates
April 06, 2004, 13:48
somebody talk me out of it - getting ready to pull the trigger on either a BT-SS or a full size MT- help me!

aj

yovinny
April 06, 2004, 14:17
Originally posted by gates
somebody talk me out of it - getting ready to pull the trigger on either a BT-SS or a full size MT- help me!

aj

:rofl: You'r right, all these facts and supporting details have changed my mind. I say go for it, get both, be good to yourself, you'r worth it !! There the greatest knife in the world and a bargain at twice the price !! :biggrin:
YOOO VINNY

gates
April 06, 2004, 15:23
listen i love go fast gear and with all the talk i think i have to own at least ONE of these knives-a fool and his $ are quickly parted and i often have but lint in my pockets-HOWEVER i think this maker is probably worth the risk.

aj

FortunateSon
April 06, 2004, 15:23
Gates, have both models and you'd be happy with either. Matt Donahue is a dealer over at www.usualsuspect.net and others there also that'll do you right. The Marine Corps first designated special operations unit is issueing Striders to all graduates as well as several Army spec op units. I expect their criteria are a bit stiffer that Vinnys... Of course Strider sells $600 knives, and $350 and $10,000 too, depends on the model. Good luck with your decision.

yovinny
April 06, 2004, 22:33
Of course Strider sells $600 knives, and $350 and $10,000 too

I'm trying to be good here, but I've got to know, I just cant help myself. On the $10,000. Strider, do you get a handle ?? :rolleyes: :devil:

gates, I wish you all the best with it buddy, enjoy it in good health :bow:

Cheers, YOOO VINNY

gates
April 06, 2004, 22:39
ummm im lookin at the $350 version.

aj

Andy the Aussie
April 06, 2004, 22:45
And here I am thinking I am some kinda hot s%&t cause I dropped $100 on a Cold Steel SRK......:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: .....I may now be suffering "Knife Envy"......:cry:

Andy:cool:

gates
April 07, 2004, 14:51
ordered the MT-L from Matt today hope the damn thing isnt too big for field carry!

aj

gates
April 15, 2004, 01:56
changed my mind and bot the MT the L was too long-btw Matt Donohue has most of the line in stock and my knife was indeed $325 just as advertised on the Strider site-im also gonna get a Swamp Rat howler for hunting/field dressing
they look like great knives at great prices.

aj