PDA

View Full Version : Sizes for Brit gear?

JoeLad
March 30, 2004, 11:09
While looking at SAS smocks online, I see sizes like 180/120, or 170/110.

Is this the length and chest size in centimeters?

I'm 6'8" tall with a 48"-50" inch chest. I guess I better get out my metric conversion chart and figure out what size will fit me...

edited to add: I saw an SAS Arctic smock on eBay with the size listed as 170/112, which the seller translates to 71" height and 44" chest.

JoeLad:D

yovinny
March 30, 2004, 12:29
WOW, you'r a tall one, I'm 6' and 52-54" chest, usually wear XXL in US made shirts and jackets. I've got a DPM combat smock thats a 190/120
The length is OK, just covers my butt :wink: but I'll be damned if I could wear anything but a t-shirt under it or even raise my arms with it un-zipped.
Have a DPM wind proof smock that's marked "Large", same problem there.
Most of the foreign stuff seems very small for/to me. Andy sent me a few XXLarge Aussie camo shirts, while the bottom could easily fit another person in with me, there still pretty snug around the chest and shoulders but wearable.
If you figure this all out let me know ;) I always buy the biggest jackets & shirts I can find and hopefully they'll fit.
YOOO VINNY

JoeLad
March 30, 2004, 18:34
Yeah, sometimes it sucks being this tall. It's tough to find clothes that are long enough.
I don't think I'll find an SAS smock that will fit me properly, as many Americans are generally larger than Europeans. Most of the SAS smocks I see on the web are in large or extra-large only. No "extra-large tall", which you can find in USGI surplus.

JoeLad:D

Havoc
March 31, 2004, 09:32
Much of that surplus is cotton blend and has probally shrunk down from it's original size. I've seen different articles of clothing with the same measurments (170/110) that were substantially different in actual size. Remember that it's also sized differently than american bdu's. A "large" bdu is cut bigger than a civilian "large", but foreign surplus advertised as large is usually smaller than a bdu "large".

Brian in MN
March 31, 2004, 15:42
I think you may have problems with both of those sizes, Joe, especially if you have large arms & shoulders. Even in the taller sizes the Brit stuff is usually cut for small shoulders so you end up with that wonderful arm pit bind. I am darn near a foot shorter than you and I wear a 190/120 in winter with lots of layers underneath. It's way too big for warm weather but works okay in cold. The arms are just too small for big guys. If you are fairly skinny the 190 may work for you.