PDA

View Full Version : OT Need some Sterling mag pouches...

Smiffo
March 22, 2004, 20:52
.. 2, 3 or 4. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Smiffo

Andy the Aussie
March 22, 2004, 21:01
Hey mate....can't help with "Stirling" Pouches....but in my travels around disposal stores here I see F1 pouches all the time. They are OD Green, hold four mags in individual slots, each had a separate cover. They run about $15-20 Aussie ea. No problem picking them up for you if you wanted, just may take a couple of weeks.

Andy

Havoc
March 22, 2004, 22:26
I think I still have some of the Canadian Sterling SMG pouches stashed away. I'll try to find them tomorrow.

Smiffo
March 23, 2004, 07:07
Andy - thanks for the offer, but I am OK for Fal pouches.

Havoc - I'm definately interested, please keep me updated.

Thanks to both

Smiffo

gunnut1
March 23, 2004, 08:44
Sarco had an ad in SGN some months ago tht said they had Sterling SMG pouches. I need several my self!

1gewehr
March 23, 2004, 08:52
FYI,
The Aussie F1 pouches are identical to the Brit Sterling pouches. Excellent design and quality. Canadian C1 SMG pouches will NOT work with Sterling mags. C1 SMG mags are only 30rds, so the pouches are too short for the 34rd Sterling mag. Too bad, as the pouches are another good design.

Any pouch which holds STEn mags will also hold Sterling mags, as they are the same length.

In other trivia, an M16 3-mag pouch holds six 25rd Uzi mags perfectly.

Enjoy,
1gewehr
(Is 30 Sterling mags too many? :) )

Havoc
March 23, 2004, 10:04
Canadian C1 SMG pouches will NOT work with Sterling mags. C1 SMG mags are only 30rds, so the pouches are too short for the 34rd Sterling mag

What weapon is the C1? I had a couple people tell me via the net that the Canadian pouches were for the Sterling but I don't have a Sterling mag to verify.

kev
March 23, 2004, 11:09
The Canadian Sterling C1 didn't use the roller follower and held only 30rds, so it's shorter than the Brit Sterling mag. Pouches don't interchange.

Sterling mags fit in STen pouches because the Brits designed them that way. The original Sterling mag was 40rds, but since the daffy Brits already had a supply of STen pouches, they mandated that the Sterling mags be reduced to the same length as STens,....hence 34rds. Stupidest thing I've ever heard of.

Aussie F1 is the SMG that followed the Owen and Austen. Uses Sterling mags loaded at the top.

Andy the Aussie
March 23, 2004, 16:53
Smiffo...as the guys pointed out the F1 pouches I am talking about are for the F1 SMG that uses Stirling mags. Keep it in mind, they are good qualiy.

Andy:)

Smiffo
March 23, 2004, 19:32
Andy,

My apologies (showing my sad lack of knowledge of other smgs). Obviously I would like some pouches that can fit Sterling mags. If F1s fit the bill then I am interested. I would need about 4 - if you want some money up front that is fine or is there anything (legal) that I could get from here (US) that you would need/trade for? Please keep me informed and thanks for broadening my education.

Humbly

Smiffo

PS Short vid of Sterling to be posted on general firearms discussion soon - if I can get some help.

Andy the Aussie
March 24, 2004, 17:28
Leave it with me for a week mate.....I need to do the rounds of the disposal stores here and I will let you know. Saw them as recently as 3 weeks ago (last rounds of stores). I will take a look see and let you know.

Andy

Smiffo
March 24, 2004, 18:43
I owe you big time - thanks

Smiffo

kev
March 24, 2004, 18:45
If you find a good supply of them you might want to consider a 'buy'. These might sell well here in the US if you can send a bunch over. I know I'd like to have several, and it's probably as easy to send 20 as 2.

Andy the Aussie
March 24, 2004, 18:51
In the early-mid 90s these were everywhere, they got rid of all the F1s in the late 80s and these must have turned up in a storage area somewhere.....now I generally see them in ones and twos. I am happy to grab them when I see them. I have no use for them down here so I would be happy to see them go to "good" homes. I will keep an eye out.

Andy:cool:

KIT
March 24, 2004, 19:11
Smiffo:
BTW all of the mags for the British L2A2 Sterling, the Canadian C1 and Australian F1 variants will interchange between types. In addition to the C1
30 rd mag there a 2 different types of Sterling 34 rd mags. There is the commercial Sterling type and the British military mag. Both will hold 34 rds and have the unique patented Sterling roller follower. The primary difference is in the construction of the mag body,. The comercial mags are constructed of pressed and folded steel while the military mags are electro-welded. Additionally, a little known fact is that the StEn mag will work in the Sterling but the Sterling will 'not' work in the StEn.

The Sterling is a great subgun and the design of the mag's roller follower is truly novel and should be developed further for other systems. The F1 mag pouches are the best of the breed and will serve you well if you can find them.

KIT

Smiffo
March 24, 2004, 22:14
Kev,

If you can get a group buy together - I am willing to act as the go between guy (as long as Andy OKs this - I'm an Essendon Bombers fan). I will ask around to see if I can get any folks interested.

Kit - thanks for the info. I am still learning.

Smiffo

Brian in MN
March 25, 2004, 16:52
Sportsmans Guide had Aussie 4 pocket F1 pouches about a year ago. You might try a search at their website. I suspect that they are all gone but you never know. I bought a couple, they were new but dirty. Thirty round Tommy mags fit like a dream in them.

sniper40
April 08, 2004, 05:04
If you are still after the Aussie F1 pouches let me know I have access to a fair few of them most are brand new. Hope that helps

Andy the Aussie
April 08, 2004, 16:32
Hey sniper.....I sent over a box of them to Dave last week...I think he is away just at the moment. Ended up finding them down in George st.

sniper40
April 08, 2004, 19:22
If they need anymore I have a box or 5 at work. Hope you stayed away from Oxford Street.

Andy the Aussie
April 08, 2004, 21:36
I try to stay away from THAT part of town.....George/York and Pitt st are bad enough as it is..!!! :uhoh:

Smiffo
April 16, 2004, 13:24
Pouches arrived today - absolutely fantastic. Many thanks Andy these are like new!

Dave Smith

Andy the Aussie
April 16, 2004, 16:24
:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Rifleman44
April 16, 2004, 19:13
Andy & Sniper40,

Could you hook me up with up to 10?

Will be happy to pay for everything involved as well as something for your time.

Paige

Rifleman44
April 17, 2004, 21:05
Please?

sniper40
April 17, 2004, 22:50
Rifleman check you email.

I was away for the past few days with my son, we were up busting some feral pigs, had a ball. Sure wish I had his energy.

Managed to get one of the biggest boars I've seen in a long time.:shades:

Andy the Aussie
April 20, 2004, 03:00
Likewise Rifleman....I just got home from the bush myself....got plenty of hogs but not real big. I have PMed you.

Smiffo
April 24, 2004, 13:27
Andy,

Have got rid of all spare pouches (kev and John c). Would be looking for another ten if you can find them! Same deal as last time, payment to who or what do you need from the US?

Thanks in advance

Smiffo

PS Glad to hear the o/b trip was a success. How many pigs and how did you cook them?

gunnut1
May 05, 2004, 16:41
Hey mate! I left this little tidbit for you in reviews.

Just received 5 Sterling SMG pouches from our brother, Andy, from across the big pond and down under.

I was VERY suprised at what I found. Being surplus, I truly expected the pouches to have some wear and that would have been OK. These pouches are VERY hard to come by here in the States and I would have been happy with a somwhat beat up pouch. (Besides, they would have better matched my somewhat beat up mags!)
Well fellow FALERs and gunlovers, this is what I got. I received 5 BRAND NEW mag pouches. I am jumping for joy! Andy, YOU DA MAN! These WAY, WAY exceeded my expectations!
Andy, I am well and truly beside myself. I cannot thank you enough.

There is only one very serious problem. Seems I didn't remember how many Sterling mags I have and I have two pouches with nothing in them. Hmm, IMA, here I come!

Thanks again mate!

Andy the Aussie
May 05, 2004, 23:01
Thanks mate.....:) :) :)

platypus44
August 14, 2004, 19:34
Hi Guys
dont want to steal Andy's thunder
but
F1 Pouches were one of those items guys who needed them couldn't get em issued through the system,
even Commandoes and SAS guys had trouble getting them[ whillst they sat in storage],MPs probably had em as well if they could.
i have seen guys carry F1 steling and H and K MP5 mags in SLR Pouches.

i have also seen steling and H and K MP5 mags carried in the F1 pouches,

i have a nice modified one by a para rigger to go on the leg from the 80s.Looks pretty warry for that era.

About 3000 turned up at auction at Bandianna Vic in the mid 90s and were exported to the UK.Too many for me.

All were unissued and dated 1967 to 1972.

but

i do have a couple of unopened wooden crates of them in the shed if any one's keen,let me know $20 Aust ,around $14 US per pouch.

Also have some Spiders down there too [ Sleeping bag holder].

recce
August 14, 2004, 23:38
Originally posted by kev
[B]The Canadian Sterling C1 didn't use the roller follower and held only 30rds, so it's shorter than the Brit Sterling mag. Pouches don't interchange

Actually they do.

C.A.L. shut down in the mid 70's and by the time the C1 SMG was finally retired in 1990 stocks of CAL mags were depleted. For the last 2 years we started seeing Brit Sterling mags in the system and they fit just fine in the 3 mag pouch that was isssued with the 82 pattern webbing. The pouched were designed to accept both.

1gewehr
August 15, 2004, 13:36
recce,
Are you SURE that you were seeing the British 34rd mags? My Brit mags definitely do NOT fit in my Canajan C1 pouches. I DO have some Chilean FAMAE 30rd mags and some C1 mags which are a perfect fit.
Is it also possible that the mags were a special order and shorter?
Just curious.
1gewehr

the gman
August 17, 2004, 13:10
Boys, I think you need to check out that stuff that TAPCO was selling last year, Brit Webbing with a large pack included. That is what we all knew as '58 pattern webbing & the Sterling mags fit in them just fine. So do L1A1 20 & 30 rnd mags. I was a Brit Army small arms instructor so I ain't blowing smoke about this. We used to have loads of the stuff for sale here, prolly still do just ain't had chance to look for any lately. I have a couple complete sets in storage, ready for my move to the US in the near future or I'd post a pic. HTH.:D