PDA

View Full Version : WTK: Best ammo pouch for 5 rd 308 stripper clips. ?

fob058
March 19, 2004, 21:02
Will the WW2 M1 ammo pouches hold the 5 rd stripper clips? Any suggests? I'm buying a Spainish 1916 mauser in 308 and need away to carry the ammo.

Thanks,

ThunderGod
March 19, 2004, 22:11
The 10-pocket M1/03A3 belts work great; I use one with my .308 MAS36 clips. 2 per pouch with a snap-strap to hold one in.

The Polish green canvas dual-pouch Mauser-style work well, also.

There are also Spanish canvas pouches that can hold 8 clips, but they are a little flimsy. I got all 3 types from Sportsmans Guide; they still have the 10-pocket and the Polish, I don't know about the Spanish ones.

If you're refering to the dual-use, double pouch Garand/Carbine, I believe they're a little too deep.

fob058
March 20, 2004, 05:04
ThunderGod,

Thanks for the advice. I'll probable go with the M1/1903 pouch.

yovinny
March 20, 2004, 17:45
Hard to beat Aussie bando's for 7.62 on clips. unfortunately, I dont know of anyplace selling them right now. You might try with a WTB in the MP for some.
YOOO VINNY

I don't know if there are any still around, but there were also some Khaki/light green Italian double mag pouches on the market that were dirt cheap. You got 5 or 6 in a pack for like $6. I ordered a bunch and ended up getting 2 different sizes. The smaller ones hold 2-7.62 5rd clips just right, the larger ones 2-30Govt 5rd clips. Brit type wire belt clips that fit any 2 1/4" web belt and hold very well. They came with syspender attachment straps on the back, but a razor blade solved that problem. 4 or 6 of them on a web belt make a nice setup and keep it really cheap.

ThunderGod
March 21, 2004, 00:23
yovinny,

Yeah, I've got both those types; almost forgot about 'em. Got them both from SG, too. I believe they still have them. The Italian pouches also work with 7.62x45mm Czech on clips

Cheaper-Than-Dirt has a cheapie-version of the 10-pocket belt for $14.95 in OD or black with a plastic buckle. The 'true'-repro SG has is $29.95.

Broadsword
March 24, 2004, 00:02
You might try some of the WWII German reproduction people ie. http://www.atthefront.com or http://www.1944militaria.com etc.
Look for the German Paratroopers bandoleer. It was worn over the neck and hung down in the front with several snap closed pockets. Made for 8mm on strippers for the K98 but I see no reason they wouldn't work with .308 strippers.
Something else to look at maby.
Broadsword

karambay
March 24, 2004, 13:18
I've got some of the Aussie Bando's that I bought new/unissued a while back. If you're interested just PM me.

Jamie

david from fla
March 27, 2004, 23:49
Freds M-14 Stocks has fn bandoleers, I got about 12. They work great.

yovinny
March 28, 2004, 08:36
Broadsword, I bought a couple of the repo German Para bandoleers and set them up for my Mauser calibers, 6.5, 7 & 8mm. I think there great and very well made, I love the German camo. I can highly recomend them, but there not the cheapest alternative.

Dave, hows the material on those FN bando's from Fred's ?? I had some FN 30-06 & 8mm in really nice heavy khaki bandos, so I bought some of the 308 stuff too. I was very disappointed with the bando's that came with them. There very thin OD cotton, thinner than US M14 bandos and they have no reinforcement or cardboard for the bullet tips. I found that with any carrying use, the bullets were ripping through the material and they really werent reusable. I'm wondering if your's are the same or better ??

I bought and traded for a lifetime supply of Aussie bando's myself. I'll eventually repack ALL of my 308 into these :biggrin: They also make a nice bando for 6-10rd mini14 mags.
YOOO VINNY