PDA

View Full Version : Can a movie change your life?

tomegunn
February 28, 2004, 17:51
Done well the "Passion" has made me realize what a waste of time the internet is. The evil bickering people that show no comprehension of Christ and what he did for us and what life is supposed to be. The love of Christ is supposed to be in all men who take him to heart and with few exceptions he hasn't found FAL Files.

To those who believe I wish Gods speed on your journey and to those who don't I shake the dust from my feet and move on.

Thomas Edward Gunn

Please remove me from all forums and files.

'TUDE
February 28, 2004, 18:02
Like was explained to me when I was overwhelmed with the love of Christ and wanting to make a difference. "When you walk as a Christian, let your love for the Lord emit from you, in your character and demeanor, and that will draw into itself those who want the same". No need in leaving brother. Stay here and set an example by your found strength and share when called upon and pray when asked.
By leaving, you weaken our numbers here that can make a difference , even in some small way.

vmtz
February 28, 2004, 18:11
Originally posted by tomegunn
Done well the "Passion" has made me realize what a waste of time the internet is. The evil bickering people that show no comprehension of Christ and what he did for us and what life is supposed to be. The love of Christ is supposed to be in all men who take him to heart and with few exceptions he hasn't found FAL Files.

To those who believe I wish Gods speed on your journey and to those who don't I shake the dust from my feet and move on.

Thomas Edward Gunn

Boy you are an easy sell.

Vince

Antares
February 28, 2004, 18:14
Bye.

:sleep:

DABTL
February 28, 2004, 18:20
I still wonder if Christ returns whether or not he will call from Salt Lake City. Oh, well, I guess we will have to wait and see.

16R40
February 28, 2004, 18:33
just goes to show you that it doesn't take much to sway a weak minded person.

'TUDE
February 28, 2004, 18:34
Originally posted by DABTL
I still wonder if Christ returns whether or not he will call from Salt Lake City. Oh, well, I guess we will have to wait and see.
I have a good hunch it will be at the Lake Fork Honey Hole Bass Tournament next month. If you hear about some fool yelling "Oh Christ, Oh Christ" after landing the next 18 pound large mouth bass, you'll know it's me.:bow:

DABTL
February 28, 2004, 18:36
Originally posted by Faltitude

I have a good hunch it will be at the Lake Fork Honey Hole Bass Tournament next month. If you hear about some fool yelling "Oh Christ, Oh Christ" after landing the next 18 pound large mouth bass, you'll know it's me.:bow:

The only way you will get one that big there will be by divine intervention. :D

kenhorse
February 28, 2004, 19:07

i am pretty sure when jesus returns joe smith will not be any where around:wink:

'TUDE
February 28, 2004, 19:08

The only way you will get one that big there will be by divine intervention. :D
I have taken that into consideration and plan on a private session before the tournament, that will include a plea of mercy.:D

DABTL
February 28, 2004, 19:26
Originally posted by Faltitude

I have taken that into consideration and plan on a private session before the tournament, that will include a plea of mercy.:D

I am not one of those falling on the ground praying types, but, if I may suggest, especially to you, that asking for forgiveness, mercy and an opportunity to become a fisher of men will pay off in a better catch.

On the other hand catfish this time of the year is plenty tasty. :)

'TUDE
February 28, 2004, 19:32
I am not one of those falling on the ground praying types, but, if I may suggest, especially to you, that asking for forgiveness, mercy and an opportunity to become a fisher of men will pay off in a better catch.

That is a daily task I undertake anyway.
:wink:

CRShooter32
February 28, 2004, 20:29
Tomegunn, remember, there is still always hope for those who do not believe. I had an uncle, a real hard case, who refused to listen to anything concerning God. It took years of prayer, and alot of perseverance from my aunt, and a diagnosis of cancer before he broke down, and took a good look at what his life had come too, and accepted Christ as his savior, he was a totaly different man in the last months of his life.

My grandfather was the same way concering religion, he feared death as much as any man, yet, after he too saw the light, he was at peace when his time came.

As long as there is someone here at the Files, praying for each other, then the Lord is indeed here with us.

GewehrEinz
February 28, 2004, 21:01
Tommegun-

I sometimes feel Christ's love is as sparse in the overall world as it is infinite and abudant. Even believers have it distorted by their pride, etc to the point that even believers will fight, even about Christ Himself!!!

Nevertheless, that doesn't mean we can quit the world or despair of ourselves. He did promise that he would always be with us, and that the Holy Spirit would guide us. He did not guarantee that we individually would never sin. And it doesn't mean that we should necessarily quit the falfiles or any other online activity.

If you feel that reading and posting on the files or any other activity is getting in your way to our Lord, by all means quit or reduce it. Nevertheless, I would personally urge you not to totally throw everything away because it's not perfect.

Let Christ's love shine through you in the Files, because this can even be done in a posting on a .45 versus 9mm debate that does not even mention His name.

It seems that the Passion movie has rightly made a profound impression on you and you want to reorient yourself (forgive me if I come off condescending. It's not my intent). I would urge you to talk to your pastor or some other clergyman you trust about your feelings and ask them to help you in this.

I am sure the other Christians on this board (including myself) would be willing to discuss this with you by email (though of course we are poor substitutes for a properly formed clergyman).

Jerikeaux
February 28, 2004, 21:11
I just hope this guy doesn't see Natural Born Killers.

everybody wants to be a martyr these days.

Savary
February 28, 2004, 21:18
The best review of The Passion I've read so far is at:

http://www.revisionisthistory.org/wire8.html
Gorefest of the Defeated Jesus
by Michael A. Hoffman II

Bruce Allen
February 28, 2004, 21:53
Yes we will have to wait and see.
I figure there will be a lot of surprises on that day.. people surprised they were called up and meet the Lord in the sky, and some that were positive they were the only ones that were going to make that didn't

Tom: Take a few days off and let your emotions settle. I have almost left several times and have thought of it lately.. Then someone will post how they like reading my posts and it means a lot to them, or send me a PM and say even more.
I have done a lot of ministering thru private messages on this Board, and emails. I just don't ever talk about it.

fastfreddy
February 28, 2004, 22:04
What do you figure it is about some people that causes them to take the time and effort to ridicule someone and what is it in that act that brings them so much glee? Being a fairly ignorant sort, I just don't get it. It's always the same ones around here, though, and they have a fair number of other traits in common that may give a clue for those of an analytical mind.

Bruce Allen
February 28, 2004, 22:06
Originally posted by fastfreddy
What do you figure it is about some people that causes them to take the time and effort to ridicule somebody and what is it in that act that brings them so much glee? Being a fairly ignorant sort, I just don't get it. It's always the same ones though.
I call them the "kick'em while they are down" group..
Real winners.

fastfreddy
February 28, 2004, 22:08
Originally posted by Bruce Allen

I call them the "kick'em while they are down" group..
Real winners.

I don't think that's it. They're just as apt to "kick 'em while they're up".

calvinike
February 28, 2004, 23:39
WOW! tomegunn has had a epiphany. Let it ride. I think we have all had experiences in our lives that cause focus, and usually end up improving our lives. Maybe we don't end up giving up everthing liked or pursued in the past, but we do it with better intentions.

tomegunn, go with your heart, but realize that everyone that disagrees with you does'nt hate you .

Stay on the board.

calvinike
February 28, 2004, 23:56
By the way if your name is real, I think GOD wants you keep contibuting. At least to the subgun board.

P806
February 29, 2004, 00:31
God in his infinite wisdom provided us with the knowledge to build and enjoy the FAL. Also to hunt, to provide, and to fellowship about all things. Thats how I see it. Good luck Thomas!

Odd Gibbs Shooter
February 29, 2004, 01:14
One thing I have learned!! The TV has a button on it "onoff" and I have learned to use it.

Another thing I have learned, this computer has the same thing!!!

Somtimes its best just to leave both of them off for a few days and read a good book!! Or reload!!

ratas calientes
February 29, 2004, 01:55
Originally posted by kenhorse

i am pretty sure when jesus returns joe smith will not be any where around:wink:

He prefers to be called Joseph Smith. ;)

EMDII
February 29, 2004, 07:01
Christ isn't going to 'change' the Files. We have choices. You can choose to leave (that's OK) or you can remain engaged and act when someone does something reprehensible. The latter is harder to do.

FAL guy
February 29, 2004, 11:05
Originally posted by Savary
The best review of The Passion I've read so far is at:

http://www.revisionisthistory.org/wire8.html
Gorefest of the Defeated Jesus
by Michael A. Hoffman II

He "saw" a different movie than I did.

from the review
The movie quotes from Isaiah 53:5: "By His wounds we are healed." But this film is a negation of that prophecy, since the wounds of Christ are never allowed to heal.

He obviously didn't watch the end of the movie.

from the review
The violence in the movie is dehumanizing.

I found it exactly the opposite. I saw it as "humanizing". As Jesus was being beaten he was being laden with each and every sin of each and every human that will ever populate the planet. I saw him turn from the "Messiah" praying to his "Father" and then lastly to a man praying to "My God".

I never saw him as "defeated". I saw him as burdened, and wounded by the tremendous load he eventually carried.

Just my 2 cents.

kenhorse
February 29, 2004, 11:32
Originally posted by ratas calientes

He prefers to be called Joseph Smith. ;)
sorry bad joke / poke at the lds on the board:p

ratas calientes
February 29, 2004, 23:40
Originally posted by kenhorse

sorry bad joke / poke at the lds on the board:p

Hey, no problem. I was just poking back. :)

Conagher
March 01, 2004, 01:56
Originally posted by FAL guy

He "saw" a different movie than I did.

He obviously didn't watch the end of the movie.

I found it exactly the opposite. I saw it as "humanizing". As Jesus was being beaten he was being laden with each and every sin of each and every human that will ever populate the planet. I saw him turn from the "Messiah" praying to his "Father" and then lastly to a man praying to "My God".

I never saw him as "defeated". I saw him as burdened, and wounded by the tremendous load he eventually carried.

Just my 2 cents.

Amen brother:bigangel:

W.E.G.
March 01, 2004, 09:22
<p class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'>As I went down in the river to
pray <br>
Studying about that good old way <br>
And who shall wear the starry crown <br>
Good Lord, show me the <span class=GramE>way !</span> <br>
<br>
O sisters let's go down, <br>
<span class=GramE>Let's</span> go down, come on down, <br>
Down in the river to pray. <br>
<br>
As I went down in the river to pray <br>
And who shall wear the robe and crown <br>
<br>
O brothers let's go down, <br>
Come on brothers let's go down, <br>
<br>
<br>
O fathers let's go down, <br>
<br>
<br>
O mothers let's go down, <br>
<span class=GramE>Let's</span> go down, don't you want to go down, <br>
Come on mothers let's go down, <br>
<br>
<br>
O sinners let's go down, <br>
<br>
Good Lord, show me the <span class=GramE>way !</span></span></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

mojo_matic
March 01, 2004, 10:27
I've been trying to see the Passion the last four days...everything sold out...EVERY show!!! Have afeeling that thi movie will be the theaters for a long time. Friends who are and are not Christian enjoyed ad respected the film. Even those who don't fully appretiate Christianity/religion in general can find a great deal of meaning and enjoyment within the passages of all religious texts! I encounter people, texts, and situations alll the time which alter how I look at and approach things. Thats what expanding and growing as a human being is all about. Some people are incapable of growing and expanding their minds. Pity.

As far the kick 'em when they are up/down crowd....I don't care about them, and for the most part ignore 'em. These people would never throw these types of insults at someone in person. Thousands of miles of phone lines give them a security blanket. Kind of like that little lap dog sitting in a car at Wal-Mart, bouncing off the windows and yapping like mad as you walk by. But if it actually did get out of the car, and you stomp your foot at it...it runs away with its tail between its legs.

vmtz
March 01, 2004, 12:30
Originally posted by gary.jeter
<p class=MsoNormal align=center style='text-align:center'>As I went down in the river to
pray <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
O brothers let's go down, <br>
Come on brothers let's go down, <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
O mothers let's go down, <br>
<span class=GramE>Let's</span> go down, don't you want to go down, <br>
Come on mothers let's go down, <br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Good Lord, show me the <span class=GramE>way !</span></span></p>

</div>

</body>

</html>

Oh borther where art thou?

Vince

Lon Moer
March 01, 2004, 13:53
Originally posted by tomegunn

Thomas Edward Gunn

All that from an extremly dramatic interpretation of a mythological fable?? :|

762minigun
March 01, 2004, 16:08
Originally posted by vmtz

Oh borther where art thou?

Vince

That was a good movie

vmtz
March 01, 2004, 16:14
Originally posted by 762minigun

That was a good movie

It was. Soundtrack was just as good.

Vince

Bruce Allen
March 01, 2004, 22:43
Originally posted by Lon Moer

All that from an extremly dramatic interpretation of a mythological fable?? :|
What's a fable?

discountupgrades
March 01, 2004, 22:51
One of my best friends was never the least bit religious. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at 28 yrs old. In the last 2 months of her life she became deeply religious and believed that "God" would save her. She died because of her deluded beliefs. I can only wish (as, if not more effective than "prayer") that this kind of unfounded desperate belief does not kill any other people.

vmtz
March 01, 2004, 22:55
Originally posted by discountupgrades
One of my best friends was never the least bit religious. She was diagnosed with breast cancer at 28 yrs old. In the last 2 months of her life she became deeply religious and believed that "God" would save her. She died because of her deluded beliefs. I can only wish (as, if not more effective than "prayer") that this kind of unfounded desperate belief does not kill any other people.

Did she stop treatment because of her religion?

Vince

Bruce Allen
March 01, 2004, 22:56
I am not trying to be unsensitive, but could you explain why it was a "deluded belief" and not cancer that caused your friends death? Not to say some people are not deluded from time to time.

xIA
March 01, 2004, 22:57
Never ceases to amaze me that the athiests on the board want to be left alone and don't want us to "preach to them" (which, sorry, we are obligated to do by OUR beliefs).
THEN they feel free to come into a thread like this with ridicule.

The Passion of the Christ has helped me along in my walk.
It brings home, rather graphically, what He did for me, and out of thankfulness and love I should do what He asks of me.
Kind of a key part of Christianity is that you obey out of love for the sacrifice of Jesus, not out of fear of the ultimate eternal penalty.

Bruce Allen
March 01, 2004, 23:12
Originally posted by vmtz

Did she stop treatment because of her religion?

Vince
That's what I am wondering.. if so she got some bad advice for sure.

Sometimes healing comes thru the hands of doctors.
I have been asked for advice about medical problems that were not spontaneously healed and I always replied to go the doctor (with a kind of unspoken duh).

discountupgrades
March 02, 2004, 00:32
I lost a very good friend because she stopped treatment, expecting intereference from a "God" that she thought loved "us" so much, evidenced primarily in "His" gift of "free will" to man. Weird. Does he intervene or not??? Well, didn't matter in her case, she died one of the slowest and most horrible deaths I could ever imagine her 6-year old daughter having to watch.
I do not look down on religion, only those who take it to the extreme of shoving it down others' throats. The rationale used to justify "my beliefs tell me I must explain/show the wonders of christianity to others" is the EXACT same rationale used by extremist nuts from every religion to justify all sorts of horrible & laughable things.
Anyone incapable of or unwilling to see the amount of twisting and deception involved in getting religion to where it is today, denying fact after fact, is admittedly deeply convicted and obviously painfully in need of something to justify their existence. That is not a bad thing, lives are shaped differently and people are individuals. BUT, DO NOT try to tell me I will be a better person for following your god or buddha or shaman or voodoo doll, whatever. Maybe I worship a rock on the side of the road in jersey named gary who you will answer to some day.
Stay on the board, leave, whatever. your input as a FAL'er will always be appreciated, I have learned tremedously from everyone here...

EXCEPT of course for vmtz and dabtl, who each offer zero to any and all discussions. I have not seen a post from either that 1. was longer than 3 sentences, OR 2. contained any knowledge useful in any way at any point in anyones life. Talk about posting just to get your post count up. I suggest putting both on ignore as I have, and perhaps the EM could divide their post count by 10 to be more accurate to their contributions.

vmtz
March 02, 2004, 07:58
I lost a very good friend because she stopped treatment, expecting intereference from a "God" that she thought loved "us" so much, evidenced primarily in "His" gift of "free will" to man. Weird. Does he intervene or not??? Well, didn't matter in her case, she died one of the slowest and most horrible deaths I could ever imagine her 6-year old daughter having to watch.
I do not look down on religion, only those who take it to the extreme of shoving it down others' throats. The rationale used to justify "my beliefs tell me I must explain/show the wonders of christianity to others" is the EXACT same rationale used by extremist nuts from every religion to justify all sorts of horrible & laughable things.
Anyone incapable of or unwilling to see the amount of twisting and deception involved in getting religion to where it is today, denying fact after fact, is admittedly deeply convicted and obviously painfully in need of something to justify their existence. That is not a bad thing, lives are shaped differently and people are individuals. BUT, DO NOT try to tell me I will be a better person for following your god or buddha or shaman or voodoo doll, whatever. Maybe I worship a rock on the side of the road in jersey named gary who you will answer to some day.
Stay on the board, leave, whatever. your input as a FAL'er will always be appreciated, I have learned tremedously from everyone here...

EXCEPT of course for vmtz and dabtl, who each offer zero to any and all discussions. I have not seen a post from either that 1. was longer than 3 sentences, OR 2. contained any knowledge useful in any way at any point in anyones life. Talk about posting just to get your post count up. I suggest putting both on ignore as I have, and perhaps the EM could divide their post count by 10 to be more accurate to their contributions.

It is quite obvious that you are still very upset by your loss. From the pain you express in your post, she must have been a good lady. Sorry to hear she is gone.

Political discussions are simply that, that is the fun of them.

Vince

M2A2
March 02, 2004, 10:09

Friend, God did save her . Thats the point of the whole thing. Now she is with him forever.loss is never easy.God has his plan sometimes we dont see the big picture. It's always for the good. Sorry to hear of your loss.

fastfreddy
March 02, 2004, 10:51
Everybody dies. I know of no major religion, including Christianity, that offers a promise of not dying on earth. Anyone who thinks that God will save them from ultimate death is clearly deluded. Of course, desperate people are often deluded and hopeless people often latch onto false hope. I am sorry for your loss of a friend to cancer. I am glad the she accepted God before going before Him, as we will all one day do. In that, the life of her spirit was indeed saved.

I don't know how I'll go or when it will be God's will. I do know that it will be sometime in the next dozen decades and I know that no matter what I do, it is not in God's plan that I or anyone avoid earthly death.

Again, I am very sorry for the loss of your friend. Your grief reflects the beauty of her life.

Derby FALs
March 04, 2004, 12:06
If Passion has changed your life you can get the officially licensed products HERE (http://www.sharethepassionofthechrist.com/index.htm)
The pewter crucifix nail on the leather thong really sends me.

H. Nipps
March 04, 2004, 18:40
tomegunn,
Jesus told us that we are in the world not of the world. He even prayed to the father that he would keep us from the world but not remove us from it. And Paul said that he has become all things to all men for the sake of the gospel. I too am a christian who felt like I needed to get out of the work I was doing because the people I work with are hopeless. But I asked the Lord to show me what my purpose was in this place. I felt that I was only becoming corrupted by the non-believing people around me. Within a week of that prayer two of my fellow co-workers who used to make fun of me for my faith, gave their lives to Christ. They said that they wanted what I had. God's providence is working in ways which we can't always see. You are the light and the salt of the world. More people are watching you than you know. You are where you are by God's will. Just perservere and keep the faith. Men will take notice. Just think, you may be the only christian influence some people ever know; whether on the job, in your family or on the FAL files. God bless you whatever your decision.

H. Nipps
March 04, 2004, 19:05
discountupgrades,
I know how you feel. I lost my father to cancer. The horror of watching a once strong 54 year old man wither away was terrible. During the time I questioned (for a moment) my faith in god. I can only tell you that in the midst of this trial my whole family became closer and had a peace that goes beyond all
understanding. Faith in God doesn't mean that you will be immune to pain. It does however mean that you won't ever be alone while going through it. We must realize that our lives are only for a moment; but eternity is for ever.
Maybe God lets bad things happen to us not because he is a masochist; but because he knows that we are so hard of heart that we won't seek him after we win the lottery. I dare say, that he would rather have us forfeit our temporal existence to ensure us an eternal one, if that is what it takes. (Please don't think I'm referring to your friends situation). It was just a general point. I too am sorry for your loss. The really hard thing is to realize that you may never know why it was allowed to happen. At least in this life. I still have questions. But I also know that I will see my father again. And that will be a great reunion.

aca
March 04, 2004, 19:54
Originally posted by Derby FALs
If Passion has changed your life you can get the officially licensed products Why the mockery? I'm curious.

Derby FALs
March 04, 2004, 20:40
Originally posted by aca
Why the mockery? I'm curious.

Who's mocking? The site (http://www.sharethepassionofthechrist.com/index.htm) is real.

steelMAGnolia
March 06, 2004, 19:45
While I haven't seen the movie yet, (I'll go this week with my boyfriend)I do have a certain motivation in seeing it. I expect to have an encounter with myself, if you will....since whether you accept, believe it, or not, our sin is what crucified Christ. The sin of jealousy, pride, and even self-righteousness, to name just a few, would not rest until the deed was done. And was God surprised by it all? He foretold of it many years before!

God knew, and the stage was set, and particular people were set up even before their birth to participate in such a plan. And it has been said that the people knew what they were doing, and certainly in earthly understanding, it was obvious. They were plotting against, and carrying out a sentence of an innocent man. But if they had known in the heavenly realms, what was taking place in the supernatural, I think they would have thought twice....and I believe that might have been what Jesus meant when He cried out, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do!"

Because He loved us so much, He wanted to cover it ALL....even the sins we willfully do that we plan to ask forgiveness for later, or maybe not...but we can't totally know what we are doing, because if we knew the grief we would be causing our Father's heart, or even the outcome of our deeds, surely we would think twice....

I plan to encounter myself on that road, experiencing a similar portrayal of what Jesus endured, for me...carrying MY cross (my weight of sin), and being subjected to rejection...so that I can know forgiveness and acceptance of my Heavenly Father.

Why waste a good opportunity to witness an account (as close as has ever been given) of significant history that holds a personal message for every man who will believe? And that is, that Jesus laid down His life for us to be forgiven from sin and made right with God. What is so threatening about that...it was a threat THEN, and is still a threat!

M2A2
March 06, 2004, 19:55
Great post Carrie.

William Davidson
March 08, 2004, 19:08
I saw it. It would have been a better movie without showing the beating and most evrything else in slow motion. The violence was a bit over done. WD

fastfreddy
March 08, 2004, 19:50
Originally posted by William Davidson
The violence was a bit over done. WD

I agree. Those Romans should have given Jesus a break..... but they didn't.

Da Nerd
March 08, 2004, 22:47
Damn right a movie can change your life forever.
John Wayne and <B>SANDS OF IWO JIMA </B>did it for me.
Semper Fi forever..
:fal: