PDA

View Full Version : I need computer help!

RLB
February 26, 2004, 11:36
My problem is I'm trying to post pics to the forum and it says the file is
too big.I have a Kodak 6440DX camera,I have it on the lowest picture
quality and the files are still too large .I'm using the software that came
with the camera,I set the compression rate to the max and it still won't
compress the file sufficiently too post.Any ideas or should I try a different software?

Thanks,
Rick

sslocal
February 26, 2004, 11:41
Try to convert the picture to a JPEG. This type of file is nomally smaller than a bitmap, or BMP file. This can be done using microsoft office photo editor.

RLB
February 26, 2004, 12:14
It is in jpeg

sslocal
February 26, 2004, 13:48
You might make it smaller by converting it to a GIF file. This is about all I can offer for suggestions. Good luck.

W.E.G.
February 26, 2004, 14:01
See
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76481

Rooster
February 27, 2004, 01:21
I use a program called Irfanview to resize my pictures. It is a free program that can be downloaded at their site http://www.irfanview.com/ . Here is a short tutorial that I prepared for another user a while back.

Hope this helps. 99.9% of image editing needs can be done using the instructions below. Play with the other options under the "Images" menu as time allows. They are not neccesary but are sometimes fun to play with.

[list=1]
Resizing (For Posts)

Open image in Irfanview
Under the “Image” menu select the “Resize/Resample” option, a new indow will appear
At the bottom of this window, make sure the “Preserve Aspect Ratio” is checked
Change the units option of the left side to “Inches” (something that is probably more familiar to you)
Resize image to a size that you feel would be suitable to reduce file space (a 50% reduction in image size will reduce file space by 75 percent)
[/list=1]
[list=1]
Resizing (For Avatars)

Same as above but select “Pixels” instead of “Inches” and resize to required size allowed by site for your member status.
[/list=1]
[list=1]
Isolating A Section Of An Image (ie Cropping)

Open image in Irfanview
Draw a box around the section of the image you would isolate by clicking and holding down the left mouse button at the upper right-hand corner of the section you would like to isolate and dragging the mouse to the lower left-hand corner of the section you would isolate.
Release the mouse button
Under the “Edit” menu select the “Crop Selection” option
This will create a new image of the section that you just chose.
[/list=1]

RLB
February 27, 2004, 10:08
A great big thankyou to Rooster,it worked!!!! Just have to play with the
picture quality.

Thanks again,
Rick

Rooster
February 27, 2004, 10:44
I usually start with my camera at max quality. That way I have more to work with when I am reducing the images.

RLB
February 27, 2004, 11:03
I have my camera set at good which according to the manual is e-mail
quality,I was messing with the picture quality with the software and I
might of turned down too much. Thanks again for all your help,I'll play
with it more later.Got to do my chores around the house.

Rick