PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a scanner?

Tony.
February 21, 2004, 18:42
Anyone here into scanners? I am considering getting one for kicks. What should I look for in them? The highest frequency I have found is 1.3ghz, is that the highest? Do I need to go higher? It seems that Uniden has a lock in the market, what other brands should I look out for? Necessary accessories?

Thanks in advance

FAL guy
February 21, 2004, 23:12
That is a pretty broad question. What do you want to listen to?

Da Nerd
February 22, 2004, 00:00
I think he means POLICE scanner......or does he.?

Dean P
February 22, 2004, 00:21
Look on ebay for some good deals.

Jen
February 22, 2004, 01:08
Check your local frequencies that you'd be interested in. Find out if your area / interests are trunked or non-trunked communications. Trunked systems won't work with some scanners, others can handle the frequency hopping trunked comms.

Tony.
February 22, 2004, 01:59
Yep, I mean a police/fire/weather type scanner. I really do not have anything in particular I want to listen to, I just looking for something to play with when I am bored.

FAL guy
February 22, 2004, 10:04
Unless your local public safety departments are using a trunked system, any scanner will work fine. If they are using a trunked system, it is a whole new ballgame. You have to find out what type. Trunked systems can still be scanned, but it requires a bunch more knowhow and better equipment. Check out your local Radio Shack. They should know all the poop about local scanning and point you in the right direction.

Here is a great website full of information (http://strongsignals.net/access/content/contents.cgi?section=begin) for begginers.

FALshot
February 22, 2004, 12:37
Hey FAL Guy:
This web site link you attached is outstanding. I just found an old Yaesu FRG-7, a general communications receiver. My goal is to relialibility get BBC at any time of the day and get good enough sound to rival the way my old Grundig 960 picks up local FM. (Do you think I have a shot without spending a ton?)

Anyway, great link.

Regards,

Bill Woodward
Portland, OR.

FAL guy
February 23, 2004, 08:45
Originally posted by FALshot
My goal is to relialibility get BBC at any time of the day and get good enough sound to rival the way my old Grundig 960 picks up local FM.

With the right antenna, anything is possible!!

Jerikeaux
February 23, 2004, 09:29
icom r5. i just got one of these and it rocks. check it out at universalradio.com
weather, police, air and tons of features. its smaller and lighter than my motorola frs radio.

Jen
February 23, 2004, 11:42
http://www.aorusa.com/ar8200.html

Here's the one I have. 500KHz thru 2040MHz (I have the MKII version, not the new MKIII that goes to 3000 MHz). Only disadvantage this one has is that you can't do trunked scanning (all of the smaller local PD's use trunked systems)

http://www.aorusa.com/Image/Bar8200mk3.jpg

Jerikeaux
February 23, 2004, 14:21
I'm almost ashamed to post this after jen's huge one, but here's a pic of the icom r5 i bought.:biggrin:

Jen
February 23, 2004, 16:02
Awwwww.. isn't it so cute ;)