PDA

View Full Version : Buck Knives customer service

skfullgun
February 21, 2004, 10:48
I came into possession of a badly abused Buck folding hunter several years ago. The blade had been beaten on the spine of the blade and the blade itself was loose. I threw it in my tool box and pretty much forgot about it.

Fast forward to about a month ago. I was disassembling a hunting tripod and needed a pry-bar. I broke the blad on the knife about 1" from the tip. No great loss...it was, after all, a tool that I had paid nothing for.

My son had recently purchased a Buck knife and reminded me of their warranty. I wrote them a letter and sent them the knife (per their website instructions) explaining how it had been broken using it as a pry-bar.

Yesterday I received a package in the mail containing what I, at first, thought was a new knife. Upon closer inspection, I realized it was the same knife, completely refurbished, with a new blade.

Impressive customer-service from a U.S. company.

They have earned my business.

JoeLad
February 21, 2004, 16:43
Wow!That's great service!

I still have a Buck Folder I broke while in the Marine Corps, almost 20 years ago. I broke the tip off opening an ammo crate, so I ground it down to a new point.
I suppose I could send it off to them and have it reworked, as it's pretty beat up.

edited to add: I looked at Buck's website, and they no longer make my knife. It'a Bucklite 422 with an OD finger groove handle. They only make black now. It has a little nylon camo pouch that's seen better days.

I do have other Buck knives, two almost 30 years old. But they're in too good shape to send to Buck for rework.

JoeLad:D

skfullgun
February 21, 2004, 18:56
I would definitely give it a try.

crffl
February 21, 2004, 20:25

This happened about 20 years also...

I have a 110 that I used as a screw driver and broke the tip off. Annoyed me but still was usable. Went to the Sportsman show in Philly and none other than Chuck Buck was sitting at a display table. Showed it to him and asked if they could/was it worth replacing the blade. He said to give it to him, gave him my name and address and a few weeks later I received a new one in the mail.

Good to hear they still have the same level of service

cadillac
February 21, 2004, 20:37
The Buck family business has always been first class. They set a standard for customer service that others should emulate. High quality, reasonable pricing, and incredible service.

I grew up near the Buck plant. My brother still lives near-by. Many years I receive something "Buck" for Christmas or on my birthday. I even have a couple of Bucks with blades autographed by Chuck Buck (see pic). Hmmm.... my brother's a pretty good guy too :)

skfullgun
February 22, 2004, 19:20
Very nice, Cadillac. That knife is definitely a keeper.

FALic
February 22, 2004, 19:32
Chuck Buck is a great guy. I recently met him at the local Friends of the NRA dinner where he donated a bunch of his procucts. About a month later I ran into him at the Plant where they were having a sale. Told him I was buying knives as a gift for my groomsmen and he and his son CJ autographed all of them. A good family standing behind good products - it's a shame they're leaving California... luckily they're not leaving the US.

skfullgun
February 22, 2004, 22:49
As i said, they've earned my repeat business. I like knowing that ALL my money is going to U.S. workers. I currently carry a Spyderco when I dress for work (it's small and light and an excellent knife), but I'm looking for a Buck as a replacement.

littlehoot
February 23, 2004, 19:34
they make great knives, ive had one or another in my possesion since i was around 8 years old or so. i will always be a repeat customer.

High Tower
February 23, 2004, 23:31
I really like buck knives and use them for deer hunting. I have had to send some back to get a new edge put on them and they have had great customer service. Thumbs up.

skfullgun
April 25, 2004, 22:47
I have now sent my second Buck knife to the company. It was a knife given to me when I was about 13 years old. I broke the blade on it years ago and tossed it into the drawer.

I recently fished it out and sent it in, with an explanation regarding it's sentimental value. I got it back with the blades replaced and the entire knife refurbished.

I was so impressed I went to Academy Sporting Goods and purchased a new Buck knife just to express my gratitude. You can't, afterall, have too many knives.

mparrish
April 25, 2004, 23:18
Hey Cad!

You grew up by El Cajon/Santee area (Buck plant)?

Powderfinger
April 26, 2004, 00:24
I believe the Buck co. patterns their business on the Golden Rule.

slikrickabn
April 26, 2004, 16:12
Question...

Does Buck have an email address for questions? I purchased one of their
Intrepid knives that I use for diving and general use, and I would like
to know their recommendation on the sharpening of their reverse serrated
part of the blade. Any of you guys know?

Thanks

Rick

Jon Frum
April 26, 2004, 16:34
I have a Folding hunter that my late Father gave to me as a kid 30+ years ago. The knife became dull and I had a terrible time sharpening it until I got a Lansky sharpener. The knife has field dressed 3 deer and will still shave arm hair. I think Lansky makes a serrated sharpener

trucksurfer
April 27, 2004, 12:14
Originally posted by FALic
A good family standing behind good products - it's a shame they're leaving California... luckily they're not leaving the US.

Can you blame them for leaving Kalifornia? My god the way that state has turned on it's people and their rights is depressing.

As for Buck products, I carried a Bucklite in the Army...actually a couple of them and kept the honed (on good Arkansas whetstone) to a razor edge. I had a Buck Fieldmate as my field knife and it was perfect. I was in commo and we'd sometimes have to clear brush for antennas, etc. and that knife was great for cutting tree branches, and brush. I lost the original Fieldmate, and broke the Bucklite, but I have replacements. I bought a GREAT knife last year to carry deer hunting, the Buck Alpha hunter...you've got to get one, slickest thing for a hunting knife. I carry a Spyderco currently (daily), but I know there will always be a Buck or three somewhere in my house.

Gunpacker
May 01, 2004, 15:33
Rick.
You can find out anything you need to know about buck at
www.buckknives.com
By coincidence, I just got back an Odyssey 181 that I sent in for repair. I gave it to my son for a present. He stuck it into a log and a "friend" snapped the tip off by twisting it I guess. It is a very pointed end on that model and I can see how it could have happened with even very good steel that is hardened like a good knife blade. I called Buck and customer service said simply, "send it to us and we will fix it." I did and they promptly repaired it and sent it back. Son is now very happy. He was devastated when it was broken. He is a knife collector at the age of 14 and really appreciates the Buck. It is his favorite, although he has several other Bucks.

skfullgun
May 01, 2004, 16:08
Yep, it's great to know there are still some companies that understand the importance of customer service.

Thanks for all the responses.

English Mike
May 01, 2004, 19:41
I've been looking for a new pocket knife for a while now & had a look at Buck's website to see if they were available here in the UK.
I'm amazed to see that their only UK outlet (Whitby & Co.) is less than 70 miles away in Kendal, Cumbria.
Thanks for the link Gunpacker.:bow:

skfullgun
September 24, 2004, 23:47
Mike, if you can't get what you want over there, let one of us know. Maybe we could arrange to have it shipped to you.

idsubgun
September 25, 2004, 07:00
I need to get hold of them as well. I have a little Buck Prince folder I bought in 1975 and the blade has been sharpened so many times, the point is actually exposed when folded. I could go down and buy another but this little knife has been in my pocket for nearly 30 years and I'd just like to keep it. Even if they require me to pay for a new blade, it couldn't cost much.

Thanks for this thread, as it reminded me to contact them.

Bill

georgestrings
September 25, 2004, 08:08
Yeah, Buck is a great company... They replaced the blade of a 110 folder years ago - after I foolishly broke off almost an inch of the blade, trying to dig a slug out of a tree... I've still got that knife - had it about 25 years or so - and it's still holding up very well...

- georgestrings

TrooperDan
September 25, 2004, 10:46
This thread reminded me that I need a Buck 110 folding hunter again! A few years ago I saw a 110 at a gun show in a box of junk. The tip was broken but I already knew their reputation for repairing any Buck knive so I bought it for $3.00. I just sent it off to Buck and they sent it back with a new blade, no charge!