PDA

View Full Version : Way OT but right up wescog alley

Offctr
September 10, 2001, 20:26
Iv got a tricky questionthat is sort of but not really unrelated to FALs --becuase I figure any group that can figure out degrees of timing to .001's of an inch shoulder adjustments etc this ought to be a no brainer but its got me stumped -- how to figure an axle ratio IE I have an axle that for each revoultion of the wheel turns the yoke 1-1/2 revoulutions or for each rev of the yoke turns the wheel 3/4 of a rev --now according to the book it should be between 3.07 and 4.88 ratios --- how do I convert the known data to a ratio --anybody ??
shoulda paid more attention in math .

Mosin Guy
September 10, 2001, 20:31
Hey, I'am unsure about how to covert the ratio the way you stated it,but if you pull the cover the ring gear will be numbered with the ratio,also you can count the number of teeth and then divide the smaller number into the larger number and this will give you the ratio.Also most rearends will have a ratio tag attached to the carrier,although most GM products use a code stamped on the rear axle tube.HTH

Offctr
September 10, 2001, 20:40
I was trying to make sure it is the right one to match the front axle without pulling it apart but I guess the cover is coming off anyway ...no tags on either one letters numbers coded on cover but nothing coherent to english speaking people DANA rep probably tell me off the top of his head guess little tin tags got too expensive.

Dave1
September 10, 2001, 22:56
Originally posted by Offctr:
<STRONG>Iv got a tricky questionthat is sort of but not really unrelated to FALs --becuase I figure any group that can figure out degrees of timing to .001's of an inch shoulder adjustments etc this ought to be a no brainer but its got me stumped -- how to figure an axle ratio IE I have an axle that for each revoultion of the wheel turns the yoke 1-1/2 revoulutions or for each rev of the yoke turns the wheel 3/4 of a rev --now according to the book it should be between 3.07 and 4.88 ratios --- how do I convert the known data to a ratio --anybody ??
shoulda paid more attention in math .</STRONG>

If you had a 3.07 to 1 ratio, the driveshaft (yoke) would turn 3.07 times to turn the wheel 1 revolution same with 4.88 to 1, the yoke will turn 4.88 times to make 1 revolution. You have to make sure that only 1 wheel turns (non-posi) or everything is screwed by the spider gears. You have to lock 1 wheel solid to figger it out. Sounds like something else is moving if your only getting 1.5 to 1. It's been awhile HTH
Dave

Timber Wolf
September 11, 2001, 05:41
I have done this several times as Dave1 said. Just jack one wheel up and turn it watching the balancing lug (or whatever it is) on the driveshaft. Has worked for me. Think you are getting a ratio of 0.75. Unless you have a Bonneville salt flat rig with somebody to push you off something is wrong. Good luck.